6.5 Grendel is a long range bad ace

o2bwest

I was fooling around at the Range the other day and tried my Grendel at the 1000yd gong. My hold over was 36 minutes. I have the rifle topped with a 2.5-10 Vortex Viper XLR with no turrets and the reticle is only marked to 32 so I had to do some guessing. On the 3rd shot I found the gong and from then on it was dong, dong, dong. My rig is an Underground Tactical Arms, Bacon Maker. 18" Saturn barrel, CMC Trigger.

Attachments

• photo(11).jpg
    photo(11).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 165
Nice rig! I'm also a huge fan of the 6.5 Grendel. It is a very often overlooked round these days. I still think my Spikes build will end up being a DMR in 6.5 Grendel. Probably a 20" full-bull 8" twist.

+1 for the 6.5G

Just ordered a matched set of forged receivers as the first step in a build I hope to keep on the inexpensive, and light-weight, end of what's available out there.

The barrel contour, chamber, and rifling choices of this caliber are confusing, at least to me. Gives me time to save up for one though...

Your 18" Saturn barrel seems to be doing the job admirably, Congrats!

I'm very happy with this set up. I started with a Jard trigger but wasn't happy with that. I really like the CMC. Now that I know what this rifle can do 1000 though I am second guessing my scope choice. The 2.5-10x32 is very compact and handy. It's great for a pickup rifle (whic is the primary function of this rifle), but I know I am going to want to see what this rifle can really do. For that I think I am going to want more magnification and turrets. I might bump up to a 4-16x50 XLR.

What didn't you like about the Jard? A friend wants to sell me the adjustable Jard, I'm a little unsure.

How were your groups at 1k?

Awesome shooting man! The Grendel is a wicked round. To repeatedly reach out to 1k with a small frame AR is awesome.

I had dependability issues with it. Ocassionaly the trigger would fale to reset after a prior round and the safety would stick on safe. I thought the bolt wasn't going all the way into battery but after it happened a few times and I beet on the forward assist without success I became suspicious of the trigger. I swapped the Jard for the CMC and problem solved. The Jard was nice when it worked but I like the CMC better. The one I'm using is the 3lb single stage. I have a 2/2 two stage ordered that I want to try in this rifle too. I've used Geisseles a lot also but I think for precision shooting I prefer the CMCs. Geisseles are awesome if you want to shoot fast.

I had dependability issues with it. Ocassionaly the trigger would fale to reset after a prior round and the safety would stick on safe. I thought the bolt wasn't going all the way into battery but after it happened a few times and I beet on the forward assist without success I became suspicious of the trigger. I swapped the Jard for the CMC and problem solved. The Jard was nice when it worked but I like the CMC better. The one I'm using is the 3lb single stage. I have a 2/2 two stage ordered that I want to try in this rifle too. I've used Geisseles a lot also but I think for precision shooting I prefer the CMCs. Geisseles are awesome if you want to shoot fast.
I decided on the trigger tech diamond for my grendel. Very happy with it but 2 of the triggers you mentioned are excellent also.

Recent Posts