6.5 Grendel Decision

i was able to get 7 rounds of grendel easily into a 10 round 5.56 mag last night. i bet it would feed. i'm gonna try it out next time i shoot.
Mags that work with the 7.62X39 aren't common. Lots are made, from what I've seen and read, few actually work. I don't know if that is due to the case body taper, the head-stamp size, or what. I can say that all of my C Prod 7.62X39 mags function as they should. Given the 2°'s more body taper of the 7.62 vs. the 6.5G I expect there to be some differences in function so it won't surprise me if this doesn't work. Won't surprise me if it does work, nothing to loose by trying it.

Y'all are aware that you can order ammo online, right? Usually much cheaper than locally, and no tax...

Unless you live in this used to be Great State that the carpet bagger liberals have perverted into their vision of utopia. but I digress......

I built a 6.5 Grendel on the AR15 platform. I actually used Anderson Manufacturing stripped upper and lower for the start of the build. Contrary to what some people's opinion on the Anderson upper/lower, my set fits together better than some of the other brands I've seen and inspected. I used the lower with the built in curved trigger guard.

My build is setup similar to a DMR. I used the Brownell's/Saturn 5R 24" button rifled barrel (Liberty). This barrel comes with a head spaced bolt. This barrel and bolt are the Grendel II chamber and bolt head space is the 0.136" (type 2 bolt).

It is very accurate and shoots under 1 MOA with most loads, and several 3-shot groups were under 1/2 MOA when doing load development. It shoots the Hornady 123 ELDM about 3/4 MOA for 5 shot groups.

Overall, this gun build was a success. Very accurate. I've given it to my son, who then used it to kill a 14 point 140 class buck.

I had a Grendel about 9-10 years ago I bought because I wanted to hunt deer with an AR platform and it looked really cool and shiny at the gunshow. Got it from a small builder called Precision Firearms that used to show up and build guns during the show. I had an 18" medium heavy Lothar barrel because long range hunting was and still is 300-400 yards for me. For hunting the best feature of the whole thing was the carbon fiber handguard, I think it was a Lancer. I was going for weight but the fact that it didn't feel like a block of ice in December was the best part of the whole thing. I wasn't loading yet and being in Blacksburg,VA at the time access to Alexander Arms ammo was very easy so I used the Lapua load for targets and Nosler load for hunting.

It shot 1/2MOA pretty reliably but I realized quickly it was more than I want to carry up the mountain or through the swamp. Shot it at paper for a year before my boat motor died and I needed funds upgrade my fishing ride.

FBF09BD8-35F5-496C-A019-08981C6B4E32.jpeg

Picked one up off a trade for a scope.

Thanks for all the replies.

600 yds isn't a big deal when you're just punching steel/paper targets. I'd gone through 224 V compared to 6.5G and arrived that the conclusion that 224 V doesn't offer me anything more than 6.5G in practical application of shooting steel plates out to 5-600 yds. I'd stick with the 6.5G unless you just want to build something new. Now if you're talking about hunting, then the heavier weight of 6.5G bullets will come in the equation for terminal energy.

The density of brass is a little over 8 times greater than water. Assuming that case weight variance perfectly corresponds to case volume variance (in actuality, it doesn't), how much case volume variance would your case weight variance translate to? Just divide the case weight variance by 8. If it's less than 0.1 to 0.2 gr calculated volume variance, it might not be worth worrying about. If it's greater than that, you can sort cases by weight or volume (better) into smaller individual groups that each have less total variance within the group.

View attachment 133109
Picked one up off a trade for a scope.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry just got the specs on it too.

Diamond back upper and lower
CMC trigger
odin works barrel with adjustable gas block
odin works match BCG
Atlus compensator
no name rail
odin Extended mag release
extended charging handle

Come up to the house and I can help you built one. I even have a nice ballistic advantage 18" rifle gas barrel I took off one of my grendels when I got my lilja barrel. It shot MOA or better at 100 yds with factory ammo. Get you a stripped lower and I can help you with a parts list. I have all the tools to build the rifle here at the house. Good barrel, trigger group, an adjustable gas block, and a couple little tricks and you can have a great shooter .

Sorry brother, I spoke before I read the whole thread. Glad you found one . Great little round. I built mine last year. I built one for my son and another for my daughter for Christmas. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.