6.5 Grendel Decision

I like the Howa 1500 Mini, I've been building an ultralight KA A-Zone "Hiking with a Rifle" rifle out of a 7.62X39 LW bbl'd action. Currently just over 6 lbs with a Leupold 2-7x LW and Talley rings. Found Ti action screws on something like Titaniumbolts.com & bought some. Those alone ought to put it at just over 6 lbs scoped.
Also, if I went the bolt direction I would do the Howa. I like my brothers Ruger American, but the limited stock options is annoying.
Yea, it doesn't get much better with the Howa Mini. Your known to me at the moment COTS options are Boyd's and the walnut stock that Brownell's has. Everything that I've ever read about the OEM polymer stock is don't bother.
Had a Howa Mini in Grendel come through the shop for threading. Very nice pkg. It was not the heavy barrel. Only complaint was location of magazine release. Very easy to bump.
This. The dip bottom metal is much, much nicer, but because of the mag catch notch they couldn't fix this.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Howa_it-1371404.aspx?CAT=12462
Not sure how well this will work, not the direction I want to go - which would be a ADL style blind mag - but:
https://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/howa-1500-mini-action-dbm/

I have a AR in 6.5 so would be nice to do double duty with the mags. Know of any good polymer mags for the Grendel. I have a few steel because they are both new. I'm not a huge fan of steel mags for my hunting stuff.
I haven't seen any polymer mags for the Grendel yet. I use the 10 round Alexander Arms mags for hunting and they work great.

heard good stuff about the howa mini action in grendel. i was thinking it would be a good first deer rifle for my boys. accurate, low recoil and doesnt break the bank.

I built my 9 year old his first deer rifle off of a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel and a MDT LSS chassis. Worked really well, killed his first buck a hog with it last year.

I like the Howa 1500 Mini, I've been building an ultralight KA A-Zone "Hiking with a Rifle" rifle out of a 7.62X39 LW bbl'd action. Currently just over 6 lbs with

I'm hoping mine is at or under 5.5 lbs. with twisted taking off 6" barrel fluting action barrel and bolt heavy and the scope is 9.5 ounces.

I have a target weight of under 5 with the OEM bbl length, but I'm doubting that I can get there w/o spending cubic dollars. Not withstanding the Ti action screws....
I'll be happy if I can get it down to 6 ready to hunt.

I have a full ti and carbon 6.5 creed that was a bit to light when finished to shoot long range. So I added a 2.5-16 scope and eh5 stock. Just over 6.5 lbs all ready to go.

Here's the kicker...she teaches a self defense course on Saturdays and she's attractive!! Lol

Pictures or it never happened!

I pretty much agree with the longer is better. You can milk the most from this little guy!

I use the Grendel mags for 7.62x39 and 7.62x39 mag for 6.5 Grendel. They are the same basic case just different size bullets.

i was able to get 7 rounds of grendel easily into a 10 round 5.56 mag last night. i bet it would feed. i'm gonna try it out next time i shoot.

Just a thought on 6.5G that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Off-the-shelf ammo availability is nothing short of horrible. Or at least it was about a year ago in my area. It's not cheap to buy online either, so keep that in mind if you don't reload. I had a 6.5G upper and loved the cartridge. It's light recoiling, easily capable of hitting steel at 600 yards and can kill deer or hogs at 200+ yards. If I could only own one caliber, it's be on the very short list. Having said that, after fighting accuracy problems, I realized the upper I bought had a defect. The manufacturer offered to fix it or give me credit to something else, and given the lack of ammo, I took the credit and went in a different direction.

If this isn't a dedicated bench or long range rifle, I'd go with a 20" barrel. I had a 22, and it was a "compromise" that ended up being the worst of both worlds as opposed to the best, IMO. 24 or 26 if dedicated for long range.

Last edited:
Just a thought on 6.5G that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Off-the-shelf ammo availability is nothing short of horrible. Or at least it was about a year ago in my area. It's not cheap to buy online either, so keep that in mind if you don't reload.

this is very true. in my neck of the woods, i've only found it at academy. about $22 for hornady black and they'll sometimes have a hornady match round for about $26. if they do have it, it's usually less than 10 boxes. bass pro and cabelas dont seem to carry it at all. i rarely go in walmart, so i dont know if they carry it and i dont shop at dicks anymore, so who knows. if they did, it's probably be closer to $30.

i only built a grendel because i had almost a complete AR in spare parts in my gun bin. i just needed a bolt, mags and barrel. i have my 308 and 6.5 creed to plink with. i plan to use this as a deer hunting gun since it's 5+ pounds lighter than my 6.5 and 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.