6.5 Grendel Decision

Also, if I went the bolt direction I would do the Howa. I like my brothers Ruger American, but the limited stock options is annoying.

Mine you can only get about 7 of the 6.5 Grendel rounds in a 30 round 5.56 mag (with the 5.56 follower) before they start jamming up inside the magazine body, and the magazine won't fit the rifle.
I should have mentioned that as well in my post. I only run 5 rounds in my 20 round mags. Works flawlessly with 5 rounds and should be sufficient for hunting.

What's the difference? Can you guys post your builds and specs?
I used the Brownells Barrels for my two builds and both came with a matched bolt. Brownells 6.5 Grendel barrels are made by Satern aka Liberty. I have both a 20" and 24". Reloading for them can be tedious as they really need to be loaded to SAMI. The Grendel in the AR platform can be picky feeding reloads. Mine feeds factory ammo flawlessly but with reloads it's very picky.

I used the Brownells Barrels for my two builds and both came with a matched bolt. Brownells 6.5 Grendel barrels are made by Satern aka Liberty. I have both a 20" and 24". Reloading for them can be tedious as they really need to be loaded to SAMI. The Grendel in the AR platform can be picky feeding reloads. Mine feeds factory ammo flawlessly but with reloads it's very picky.

I'll look into Brownells thanks!!

I'll probably just buy that 123 grain Hornady premium stuff. It's like $18 a box of 20 at bass pro.

I have gun ADD. I like the AR platforms, but come to realize I like them in the sub caliber category, i.e. .223, .300BO, 6.8, 6.5...

I have a high end AR10 that I really cant shoot well. I have it at a local gun shop and the owner said that she'll trade for a custom glock and a nice 6.5 grendal (she has to order the grendel). I already have a long range .223 AR and a nice hog/deer .300BO AR.

What would be a good 6.5 grendal recommendation for a do all type rifle? Looking for the balance between sleek, somewhat light, and long range precision (500-600 yards on steel).
You know a woman that owns a gun shop? I would have let that a closely guarded secret...

I should have mentioned that as well in my post. I only run 5 rounds in my 20 round mags. Works flawlessly with 5 rounds and should be sufficient for hunting.
I've got a couple 5 & 10 round C-Products 6.5G mags for mine, I find them better for shooting on the bench and hunting due to their shorter length. I do have one 24-rounder that I never use because it would cost $25 just to shoot one mag of factory ammo out of it. :rolleyes: I have it just because you never know when the Dems might try another standard capacity mag ban...Might be highly valuable someday. :D

Those are all great options. Be sure whatever you buy you get a headspaced bolt with it. There are Type 1 and Type 2 Grendel's.
I would go with Type-II if you have the choice. I'm pretty sure that's the standard now that they have made it proprietary. Only folks still using Type-1 are those that were early in the Grendel game, and were having to use 7.62x39 bolts, because dedicated 6.5 Grendel bolts didn't exist yet.

Mud you sir are correct. Both have good and bad. For most the Ruger is prob the better option. For me I'm looking for a super light rig for my father to carry while walking and will be used for under 300 yards more like 80-100 most of the time. So I am cutting it up to lose some more weight. I do wish it used ar mags for sure as I'm swimming in those. If you are going to the range to make small groups no doubt the rpr will be better for that.
Not 6.5 Grendel, but the Ruger American Ranch is a short light rifle. Comes in 7.62x39 . Bolt gun but would make a great short range hog/deer/pinker. Dirt cheap ammo always a plus.

Man don't sell the psa upper short. It drives me nuts that my two best shooting ar's let alone rifles are psa uppers.
Really can be frustrating in a good way when the shoot that good. I've had some better than others but all the psa uppers have shot good. Haven't got the break in done on my 6.5 Grendel so I can't say if it will be a winner or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts