6.5 Grendel brass from 220 Russian brass

woodnut

I'm getting excited about my next AR build, a 6.5 Grendel. While I think it is hard to beat Hornady's 123gr. AMAX load; I may reload anyway later on. I have a small supply of Lapua 220 brass I had to make 6PPC brass. I can tell the 220 brass is shorter in the body and wondered if someone knowledgeable in this would tell me if I can fire form the 220 brass in the 6.5 Grendel chamber or is it too short to do? Only way to get 6.5 Grendel brass is to buy it made?

Don't know about the 220 brass but I wouldn't bother since you can purchase lapua brass. I have a overwatch and love it. It loves hornady ammo I think I bought some lapua brass but don't remember. But I do know its hard to match the velocity of the hornady 123. The alexandar 123 lapua shoots good also. Stick with 123 bullets.

midwesthunter, you are right as rain! Everyone who has shot the Hornady 123 gr. factory load swears by them! I really can't believe I can duplicate the velocities nor the accuracy. Buuutttt....I love to try ! I have a 260 and my reloads punch one hole groups at 100 with 2700fps and that's about what good factory loads do. AAs lapua costs a lot and it doesn't do any better than Hornadys either. I'm also thinking what if...factory ammo gets whacked by the hysteria sweeping DC. Just thinkin and preparin.

Ya, I'm with ya there, but that's why I keep all my brass. I will be doing some reloading to help keep shooting cost down, but always good to have a factory back up round that shoots good. I have been hearing good things with the CFE 223 powder

Hummm, what's this powder you speak of; a new one ? I haven't caught up with that one. What are you hearing about it?

Its been out for about a year or so. CFE stands for copper fouling eliminator. It does tend to produce top velocities as well. I reloaded some for one of my 308's and I went over max charge to a compressed load, I was shooting 175 smk's that would almost hang with a 300 win mag. bolt was just a little sticky. I snuck a peak of the newest manual and for 120-123 grain pills they have CFE listed as followed
26.2GR/2100FPS, 27.5GR/2200, 28.7GR/2300, 30.0GR/2400, 30.6GR/2450, 21.2GR/2500 I wana say this was out of a 18" barrel also. so my 24" should do lot better. TAC and Accurate 2520 are also favorites out there

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.