6.5 grendel boltaction cz 527 vs howa mini action

whitetail regulator

hey guys... looking hard at a 6.5 grendel boltaction.... anyone own or have experience with the cz527, howa mini action, or any other make of grendel bolt action? all information is much appreciated...thanks

The howa mini bottom plastic sucks and the magazine is the worst I have seen. My dad is working with a guy on aluminum bottom metal and mag. The prototype bottom metal is very nice. I'm trying to get them to do one that accepts ar type mags. I wouldn't own one until they get this going.

....I would expect the 6.5 to be better......

A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you. I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Compact Rifle in 7.62x39, with intentions of converting to the Grendel.

The bullet market has changed, and some good light weight .30's are now available. Specifically the 130 Hammer. Kind of made the Grendel less interesting for me.

Of course newer 6.5 bullets have appeared as well.

A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you. I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Compact Rifle in 7.62x39, with intentions of converting to the Grendel.

The bullet market has changed, and some good light weight .30's are now available. Specifically the 130 Hammer. Kind of made the Grendel less interesting for me.

Of course newer 6.5 bullets have appeared as well.
just curious if that x39 hawkeye is controlled round feed....because i dig crf...never tried the ruger version

The howa mini bottom plastic sucks and the magazine is the worst I have seen. My dad is working with a guy on aluminum bottom metal and mag. The prototype bottom metal is very nice. I'm trying to get them to do one that accepts ar type mags. I wouldn't own one until they get this going.
hey just curious what the trigger pull can be brought down to...and how it feels... thaks

We like the little encore we have with the M4 style stock--so we have been looking at the howa mini in the chassis...don't like the CZ because the bolt root makes you mount the scope exceedingly high. Making cheek weld more difficult. Beautiful little guns--bunt need to figure out a way to mount a scope lower without the bolt hitting the eyepiece of the scope...

I had a Howa Mini Lightweight 6.5 Grendel and still have a Howa Mini Heavy Barreled 6.5 Grendel.

The Lightweight was decently accurate (1/2-3/4" at 100yds) with factory ammo.

The Heavy Barreled version is more accurate and not all that heavy. It shoots under 1/2" at 100yds with factory ammo. The "bottom metal" is cheezy, but it works and the magazines are easily modified to make a flush fit 4 rounder. The magazine release lever is also easily modified. I rounded mine off with a Dremel a bit so it wouldn't be as easy to hit and release the magazine.

The Triggers are 2 stage, which I don't really care for, but can easily be worked down to 2lbs or less if desired. I got the Lightweight down to 2lbs and the Heavy Barrel down to 1.75lbs. There is also a reduced pull spring out there that I think gets it down to 2lbs.

They are fun to shoot, accurate and kill the crap out of Whitetail.

Below are some pics of groups shot with factory ammo in the Heavy Barrel at 100 @ 200yds.

Here are a couple of Whitetails I killed with the little Grendel Factory Federal 90gr TNT Varmint loads.

Attachments

• 123gr 90gr.jpg
    123gr 90gr.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 816
  • 123gr 200yds.jpg
    123gr 200yds.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 806
  • 10PT-1.jpg
    10PT-1.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 776
  • 10PT-2.jpg
    10PT-2.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 741
  • Big 10-2.jpg
    Big 10-2.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 782
  • BIG 10-1.jpg
    BIG 10-1.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 760
I had a Howa Mini Lightweight 6.5 Grendel and still have a Howa Mini Heavy Barreled 6.5 Grendel.

The Lightweight was decently accurate (1/2-3/4" at 100yds) with factory ammo.

The Heavy Barreled version is more accurate and not all that heavy. It shoots under 1/2" at 100yds with factory ammo. The "bottom metal" is cheezy, but it works and the magazines are easily modified to make a flush fit 4 rounder. The magazine release lever is also easily modified. I rounded mine off with a Dremel a bit so it wouldn't be as easy to hit and release the magazine.

The Triggers are 2 stage, which I don't really care for, but can easily be worked down to 2lbs or less if desired. I got the Lightweight down to 2lbs and the Heavy Barrel down to 1.75lbs. There is also a reduced pull spring out there that I think gets it down to 2lbs.

They are fun to shoot, accurate and kill the crap out of Whitetail.

Below are some pics of groups shot with factory ammo in the Heavy Barrel at 100 @ 200yds.

Here are a couple of Whitetails I killed with the little Grendel Factory Federal 90gr TNT Varmint loads.
good information thanks....what is the barrel outside diameter? i'm probably gunna cut one at 16" and thread it for a can....im afraid the light weight and sporter version may not have enough diameter to thread....i can go as small as 9/16

i would rather go the lw or sporter version to save on weight...i could go as small as 1/2" threads if i modded a qd flash hider with larger hole for 6.5 instead of 223

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.