6.5 Grendel AR

Those are some giant hogs WildRose!!!!!!

They really felt giant dragging them out of the pasture that evening. WR dropped both of them on the run with that .204. If I remember right, one dropped immediately with a neck shot at about 300 yards, and the other was slightly farther out and took one to the chest and one to the neck. I could barely believe it at the time, but since then I've seen him make so many unbelievable shots that nothing surprises me anymore.

I shoot both the 6.8 SPC II and a cartridge based off the 6.5 it being a 6mm AR Turbo Imp. The statements are correct if you keep the shots at 200-250 then the 6.8 is great and with more heavier bullets coming out for it but like was said the 6.5 will walk away farther out. The one exception is cost of components for handloading which gives the edge to the 6.8. So here's the way I see it get both as you have the AR 15 lower and go have some fun. I might add that I have a 6.8 in a Rem. 700 bolt as well with a 20" tube and I just picked up a 26" take off tube that has never been shot and I will see just what the 6.8 will do with the heavier bullets 120-140 grain.

I shoot both the 6.8 SPC II and a cartridge based off the 6.5 it being a 6mm AR Turbo Imp. The statements are correct if you keep the shots at 200-250 then the 6.8 is great and with more heavier bullets coming out for it but like was said the 6.5 will walk away farther out. The one exception is cost of components for handloading which gives the edge to the 6.8. So here's the way I see it get both as you have the AR 15 lower and go have some fun. I might add that I have a 6.8 in a Rem. 700 bolt as well with a 20" tube and I just picked up a 26" take off tube that has never been shot and I will see just what the 6.8 will do with the heavier bullets 120-140 grain.

I dont have a 6.8 spc but I do have a Grendel and I can shoot 400-500 yards consistently with a Nikon Prostaff bdc 4-12-40 (not a Monarch or Buckmaster mind you) so if I stepped up my glass im sure its capable of much further. From what ive read and the reason I went with the Grendel vs the 6.8 spc was the BC of .264 bullet. It out performs in every category except the 1st hundred yards. In fact the 6.5 Grendel whips up on the .308 just as bad, at 1000 yards the Grendels still supersonic the 308 isnt. As far as ammo goes you can buy factory Hornady 123 gr Amax bullets all day for under $20.00 a box of 20. I'll post some pictures of Coyotes and deer ive shot last couple of weeks but ive got to upload them from my phone later. Im interested in the 6.5 Creedmore if any of you have any suggestions and info. Nice to see that im not the only Grendel owner here.gun)

Awsome stick...i was just thinking about 6.5 grendal yesterday. Can u guys recomond any supper accurate uppers that wont kill the saving account. And mabey a fur friendly bullet for it...

Awsome stick...i was just thinking about 6.5 grendal yesterday. Can u guys recomond any supper accurate uppers that wont kill the saving account. And mabey a fur friendly bullet for it...
Long range accuracy always comes at a price unless you just flat out get real lucky.

POF and GA Precision are amongst the top of the line also there's a great builder in Colorado, Accuracy Systems Inc.

The advantage of going with the grendel is that you can stay with the AR-15 platform which is a savings over having to go with the LR308 or AR10 platform. It also saves you an awful lot of weight.

Me I went with the LR260 and put together a "Frankengun" which shoots extremely well but it does come with a heavy price weight wise.

I'm probably going to put together a 20" lighter contour barreled upper for it so it's more practical for things other than LR but I'm extremely happy with this one.

You'd be surprised though how well you can do with the Grendel's that are out there for sale off of the rack rather than going with a custom as the platform just lends itself to good accuracy as long as you start with a quality barrel and most of the more recognizable names are starting with very good quality barrels.

Thinking of a 6.5 Grendel upper to put on my current 5.56 lower. Do I need anything else other than a 6.5 mag? Do I need to do anything to the 5.56 lower?

I love both of my Grendel's.

1. Sabre Defence 14.5"
2. Precision Firearms 24"

Awesome caliber, will be using on whitetails this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.