6.5 grendal

Will adjustable gas block improve accuracy im not an ar expert.
No. All it does is adjust the amount of gas running through the system to make it cycle properly. I've heard lots of BS on the internet about how it does, but there's physically no way a gas block adds or detracts from a rifle's accuracy, unless it's rubbing against something it's not supposed to be, and changes the barrel's harmonics.

None of mine run an adjustable gas block, and that includes a 16" carbine-length gas system .300 BLK that cycles subsonics just fine, even without a suppressor on it. Some might call that a unicorn, but a proper-built rifle (high-quality parts and barrel) with a properly sized gas port makes a world of difference.

I've seen and adjustable gas block completely turn around the accuracy of an AR but you could tell when it was going to toss a round by how it ejected the fired case. After an adjustable gas block and tuning the brass dropped in a little pile and the bullets went into a decent group.

VARGET and Nosler ballistic tip bullets. fool around with that.. I have a Satern 22 "barrel Alexander Arms early made rifle. Shoots little clovers all day at a hundred.

As far as SD/ ESs LOL had to look that up and i dont get that technical . I do chronograph loads once i find a load.

IMO...you should start with your chronograph. I'm new to reloading for a gas gun. Been loading for bolt guns for a very long time.

Why start with the chronograph? The AR platform is very easy to go over pressure well before the brass shows signs of pressure.

So I try to get my velocities as close to book velocity, especially if the book list pressure of that load.

The 123 SST is apparently a tough one to get shoot good. I burned nearly one pound of 8208 before finding what I wanted for my 18" barrel. My 20" likes the bullets and shoots them well.

H335 was a piece of cake to get the SST to shoot good with low SD and ES without over pressuring the platform. So far the H335 has done very good with several bullets.

Just put together a 24" SS heavy barrel with a side charge upper.
20190317_123252.jpg

Still waiting on the gas block and tube. Need a brake too.

Oh...if you noticed something bridging the top of the HG and upper...I use something to hold the two rails together while I snug down the front Hand Guards, that way the two are perfectly aligned.

Good idea on proper alignment captnc.
Who made the side charging upper?
I want one even though I don't shoot the ar's as much as I used to.
Getting old is a trap and there is only one way out!
I also found that I had my best accuracy at less than max loads.
Velocity is nice but I shoot for accuracy only and will accept lower velocities if that's where she likes to shoot.
OP that may be where your going.
Is your upper and lower receivers a tight fit?If not use an Accuwedge to tighten the upper to lower.
Just my 2 cents,actual worth may be lower
Old Rooster

Who made the side charging

Old Rooster

I got it from Bear Creek Arsenal, not sure who actually makes it. The killer is the have the best prices in the industry on their stuff.

I got the complete upper/ BCG for $139.00 (my side charge 7.62X39 coplete upper/BCG was $119.00)...that barrel is less than $100.00.

They recently had a ICE raid and have been offering a lot of discounts...free shipping..."factory closeout sales" so I'm fearful they might be folding their tents.

I called them two weeks ago and tried to get a little info, but the girl on the phone was pretty tight lipped about their business direction.

That's why I bought the 24" barrel and side charge upper....before they disappear!

Lots of good advice already but I didn't see this mentioned, What trigger are you using? If your using a that gritty PSA milspec trigger then I'd upgrade it. I know that doesn't help with load development but it does help with accuracy. I did well with 28.5 grains of TAC & the 123gr SST's.

I recently purchased a 12" 6.5 grendel upper from PSA, chrome moly. Attached to a carbon(plastic) bushmaster lower. Even with the crappy lower with a gap in it, It shoots Hornady black ammo 1.5 moa. When I get a better lower and bed it Im sure it will easily shoot under moa. I got more than I expected for a $330 upper that comes with an adjustable gas block which is nice since I use a suppressor. After 150 rds through it I'm happy so far for plinking and varmints out 300 yards. When shopping at PSA pay attention as some of their BCG's are black nitrided so you can run em dry and some are phosphate coated.

Something I forgot to add was the first 10 rounds fired out of the gun had rings on the lower half of the case. Looks like a rough chamber but it still functioned just fine.

Something I forgot to add was the first 10 rounds fired out of the gun had rings on the lower half of the case. Looks like a rough chamber but it still functioned just fine.

The part of the shooting range I go to doesn't have any RO's working the long range area. So I pick up a bunch of Grendel and 224 brass...it looks like it must pretty common for some rifles to do that. They also are rough on the cases during extraction...

My two Grendel's and the 7.62X39 Bear Creek Arsenal barrels don't put a scratch on the brass. They are grave yard, back door cheap cost wise, but the quality must be decent.

I don't see any issues with my brass like I'm seeing on the brass of a lot of different rifles.

Johnslam,

I am not very tech savvy and can't figure out how to send a PM.

According to the load data I have been searching out, H4895 load data is almost exactly the same as 8208XBR which is a favorite powder for the 6.5G

I haven't fired for speed yet as I was looking for a good accurate load for my upper.

I am aware that the 6.5G is a "tweener" and I'm not looking for blazing speed.

According to the load data, my H4895 load should be somewhere around 2400fps. I'm sure that the data number won't match the speed I'm actually getting but my accuracy is very good and that is what I am most concerned with.

It appears that I should get enough FPS to make good use of the 129gn Nosler LRAB so I am ok with whatever muzzle velocity I am getting.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/11/16/sierra-bullets-6-5-grendel-load-data/

https://load-data.nosler.com/

Take a look at this data. I hope there is something there that tickles your fancy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.