6.5 Gibbs

Dave in Idaho

Here is my 6.5 Gibbs after a new barrel and face lift. The first barrel went 10 years before I had to get it redone. It started life as a Rem 700 ADL .30-06.

100_1454.jpg

100_1458.jpg

Specs:
Hart stainless 28" Barrel, Sendero contour
Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake
Joel Russo A-5L stock brn/brn
SWFA Super Sniper 16X
TPS 30MM rings and TPS 20 MOA Base
Gunsmith Raymond Romain

Nice looking outfit.

Geeze, I'm way too used to that background. Must be in the Snake River basin somewhere?

Were you bustin' rocks, chucks, yotes or paper?

nice looking gun

hey I'am just getting started. Who do you guys recommend for a gun smith to put my gun together or build me one here in Idaho

Roy,
I was out for a slow day of fireforming. My bro and I were shooting at a 5" gong at 734yds. Boy what a difference after shooting fairly anemic fireform loads then launching a couple formed full loads. Formed load shot roughly 6 MOA less of elevation and 4 MOA of wind difference. AND the time of flight was reduced a bunch too. No coyotes today. Saw 6, all in about 5 minutes, while I was stalking a deer but they weren't a priority. Next weekend they will be. Very fun day.
I did shoot one coyote last week at 227yds. I wish I had my camera because the damage a 140gr Berger did on that thing was unreal. I would decribe the exit wound(hole) but I truly don't think anyone would believe it.

502bullelk,
There are several good gunsmith's in Idaho and one exceptional one is known to visit this sight. Ray Romain built my first 6.5 Gibbs and now rebuilt the same rifle 10 years later. But he is in PA. I have had Jim Brockman (Gooding, ID.) build a .250 Ackley Improved for my wife and it turned out better than we hoped. Jim is the only only one in Idaho I have had personal experience with. My advice to you is do your homework and don't try to go the cheap route. Spend your money and get it done right.
Good luck.
Dave

Glad to see you got your 6.5 gibbs back. Nice looking rifle. Since you guys suggested I look into that cartridge, I am really looking forward to getting my barreled reciever back, bedding it and getting out there to shoot some deer.

SES50

urbaneruralite,
It is a Millet Flush Cup sling swivel. The swivel mount is flush with the stock and simply pushing down and turning the sling loop 90 degrees will release the loop. Leaving the mount flush with the side of the stock. Taking off the sling loops and sling take about 3 seconds.

SES50, who is doing your barreled reciever?

I hope to get out and do some real accuracy testing this weekend now that I have finished fireforming brass.
Dave.

I ended up going with Pac-Nor to do the rebarreling and accurizing. I know it is not what everyone here suggested but I wanted it back fast and they said they could deliver. I ended up going with an 1:8.5 twist with a 3 groove rifling. It is going to be my first pillar bedding job so I wanted to get it back and get started on the stock.

SES50

Dave in Idaho what does the felt recoil compare to , thinking of building something very close to what you have.

SES50,
You will not get any complaints from me about the Pac-Nor barrels. They have an excellent reputation in my neck of the woods. Sounds like you will surely have a shooter when it is done.

hogslayer,
The recoil with the brake is slightly more than a .22-250. It kind of reminds me of a light loaded .243 Win. The previous barrel was lighter (.725" at muzzle) and did not have a muzzle brake. It was more along the light loaded .25-06 feel. Still very comfortable though.

ridgerunner,
The stock is a HUGE help with comfort and recoil. Joel was awesome. I have never had a more comfortable stock. My first barrel was a Douglas. I just wanted to try a slightly heavier stainless this time around. No complaints.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,

Thanks, That is good to hear. I was a little apprenhensive going the pac-nor route but other guys assured me that they would do a good job.

SES50

Dave,

I just did the bedding job on my rifle and should have it finished up by the end of the week. I need to get a set of dies for this. So far I have found RCBS and Redding have dies. What dies are you using?

I have a bunch of 270 brass. Would I run that brass through the 6.5 Gibbs full length case sizer and then load it for fireforming? After fireforming then I would run it through the necksized die.

Thanks
SES50

SES50,
Sorry this reply is so late I haven't been on the forum in a while.
I have Redding FL dies. I use .270 Win brass only. It provides the longest neck when formed.
My brass prep consists of running a flash hole deburring tool in every case, sizing in redding FL sizer die. This will leave a "bump" on the neck. Check by chambering for a "crush fit" if it is too loose then back out the sizing dies until you need a slight amount of force to chamber. Critical because the "bump" assists in correct headspace by creating a false shoulder.
My rifle is chambered so that I need to turn the case necks. I turn mine from the mouth to the start of the "bump". Turn the necks to .013" (my chamber only).
Load up some fireform loads. Try them out.
Dave

feel free to email me for more info on fireforming or anything else you need.
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.