6.5 for deer...2600 fps <<< VS >>> 2800 fps...???

daniel brothers

For you Guys that have killed deer size game with the 6.5 caliber... would it matter if the 140 gr SST was going 2600 fps or 2800 fps for DRT...???

The 2600 load is way more accurate than the 2800, but I can work on getting the 2600 fps up some more...BUT... does it really matter? Both loads will hit and kill a deer, but I'm looking for advice on the DRT ability of each under 200 yds. I just bought a Savage Axis in the Creedmoor for my elderly Buddy to shoot deer with, and am wanting to use the load that will put them down on the spot with broadside shots...behind the shoulder... lung area.

What are your thoughts? Thanks Guys...Dan

Under 200 yards as you stated...doesn't matter. Also if it's an elderly person that lower velocity may help with recoil.
The only reason I would want more velocity is if I was stretching its legs. Then it matters with everything (trajectory, wind deflection, terminal performance, etc). 200 fps is the difference between most magnum chamberings and their standard counterpart.

Inside 200 yards I wouldn't worry about it in that velocity range.

I'm generally in the heavier the better camp, but this is definitely a situation where I'd look at some of the bullets in the 120-130 range. There are plenty of good-great 6.5 deer bullets available.

For that bullet here's what applied ballistics shows (at 5200 feet altitude):
2600 FPS muzzle, at 200 yds you have 2318 FPS and 1671 ft-lbs

2800 FPS muzzle, at 200 yard you have 2506 FPS and 1952 ft-lbs.

My understanding is the SST is a pretty frangible bullet, so I can't imagine the lower velocity is going to matter. Seems you have plenty of velocity and energy (and still would even at sea level if he's more like where you are). With the improved precision of the slower load, I think that would be the priority.

Admitted, I haven't shot any game with the SST, but hope that's helpful.

You seem to be under the influence that "DRT" is a magical reaction that you can affect the outcome of, at will... It is not. And velocity does not always affect the outcome of it. It's mainly about 3 things... Location, location, location. And that location is hitting the CNS (Central Nervous System) of the animal in the right spot. And that is more easier said, than done. Sometimes a good heart shot on a very relaxed animal will immediately shock it so hard that it falls DRT. But not always. Hitting the CNS too far back can cause issues as well.

Either way, "DRT" is just something that happens...And not something that happens all the time. Animals react differently when shot, and nobody can predict the outcome of how they will react.

For you Guys that have killed deer size game with the 6.5 caliber... would it matter if the 140 gr SST was going 2600 fps or 2800 fps for DRT...???

The 2600 load is way more accurate than the 2800, but I can work on getting the 2600 fps up some more...BUT... does it really matter? Both loads will hit and kill a deer, but I'm looking for advice on the DRT ability of each under 200 yds. I just bought a Savage Axis in the Creedmoor for my elderly Buddy to shoot deer with, and am wanting to use the load that will put them down on the spot with broadside shots...behind the shoulder... lung area.

What are your thoughts? Thanks Guys...Dan
The deer won't notice.

What cartridge are you shooting?

You seem to be under the influence that "DRT" is a magical reaction that you can affect the outcome of, at will... It is not. And velocity does not always affect the outcome of it. It's mainly about 3 things... Location, location, location. And that location is hitting the CNS (Central Nervous System) of the animal in the right spot. And that is more easier said, than done. Sometimes a good heart shot on a very relaxed animal will immediately shock it so hard that it falls DRT. But not always. Hitting the CNS too far back can cause issues as well.

Either way, "DRT" is just something that happens...And not something that happens all the time. Animals react differently when shot, and nobody can predict the outcome of how they will react.
I made a bad hit about 6" behind the shoulder on a doe a few years back. She went down like a hammer in tall grass but it was early so I let her lay.

After dark I went in and found her still breathing but with her spine completely severed and paralyzed.

I felt horrible and won't ever let one lie like that again if I can't see it and know it's stone dead.

Both are in my opinion non-issue at that range. You have plenty of velocity at 200, and though you didn't say how bad the 2800 fps load was, if it's a 2moa load that is a 4" group which is perfectly fine. I would take smaller groups with lower velocity personally, but you should be ok either way.

Both are in my opinion non-issue at that range. You have plenty of velocity at 200, and though you didn't say how bad the 2800 fps load was, if it's a 2moa load that is a 4" group which is perfectly fine. I would take smaller groups with lower velocity personally, but you should be ok either way.

Please take no offense but most us here will strive for 1 MOA or better. I personally is not perfectly fine with a 4" group at 200 yards.

Last weekend I shot a 3-shot group at 200 yards with a factory ammo out of an entry level rifle similar to the OP's ...

P26mJmR.jpg

6C3w9ad.jpg

19QUhZ4.jpg

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.