6.5 creedmore vrs 260 rem

Following this thread. My next build will be a 260ai, 6.5CM or '47. I want to get into PRS and plan to rechamber my Howa 308 for this purpose. Seems the '47 would have a slight advantage in terms of lower recoil for quick follow up shots but the CM or AI would be preferable for getting a projectile out to 1200 because of the high bc 140's.

I don't do competitions but those PRS dudes really like the '47 and now their moving into variants like the 6 x 47. For me, from a more pragmatic perspective, I just as soon get the extra barrel life out of the 6.5 though. I was at the range yesterday and had a 243 sporter rifle shooting 75 grain bullets and a 6.5x47 with a medium varmint barrel shooting 143 grain bullets. The '47 was noticeably tamer that the 243. Heavier rifle too but just say'in, it's a kitten to shoot. A truly well designed and pleasurable caliber to chamber a rifle in. A brake or suppressor I would imagine would make it so stable through the follow through that a person could in fact, easily spot their shots. I'm sure they could easily spot their shots without a brake but for now in the snow, I can't spot anything.

I think all three are basically in the same conversation although I'd give the 260 and creedmoore a very slight edge in ballistics but far less advantage than a decent wind call. For me it is more a choice of pragmatics. Can you buy good brass? What is the anticipated brass life, barrel life, ease of feeding and extraction, flexibility in powder selection, reputation for finding accurate loads and recoil. I think to gain any more real ballistic advantage, your going to have to burn quite a bit more powder like an AI or a 6.5x284.

I don't do competitions but those PRS dudes really like the '47 and now their moving into variants like the 6 x 47. For me, from a more pragmatic perspective, I just as soon get the extra barrel life out of the 6.5 though. I was at the range yesterday and had a 243 sporter rifle shooting 75 grain bullets and a 6.5x47 with a medium varmint barrel shooting 143 grain bullets. The '47 was noticeably tamer that the 243. Heavier rifle too but just say'in, it's a kitten to shoot. A truly well designed and pleasurable caliber to chamber a rifle in. A brake or suppressor I would imagine would make it so stable through the follow through that a person could in fact, easily spot their shots. I'm sure they could easily spot their shots without a brake but for now in the snow, I can't spot anything.

I think all three are basically in the same conversation although I'd give the 260 and creedmoore a very slight edge in ballistics but far less advantage than a decent wind call. For me it is more a choice of pragmatics. Can you buy good brass? What is the anticipated brass life, barrel life, ease of feeding and extraction, flexibility in powder selection, reputation for finding accurate loads and recoil. I think to gain any more real ballistic advantage, your going to have to burn quite a bit more powder like an AI or a 6.5x284.

338, have you taken the '47 w/143's to 1k or beyond? That is my only concern with that caliber. I agree with you on the 6 vs 6.5 though, I want the better barrel life so for me it will be a 6.5 something. Whatever can get me to 1200 supersonic and has the best barrel life will be what I end up with. Yes, I am aware that barrel life is dependent on 100+ factors but there is still a ballpark for each I'm sure and that is what I need to research, JBM and forums like this.

338, have you taken the '47 w/143's to 1k or beyond? That is my only concern with that caliber. I agree with you on the 6 vs 6.5 though, I want the better barrel life so for me it will be a 6.5 something. Whatever can get me to 1200 supersonic and has the best barrel life will be what I end up with. Yes, I am aware that barrel life is dependent on 100+ factors but there is still a ballpark for each I'm sure and that is what I need to research, JBM and forums like this.

Naw, I'm sure somebody has though. I just started seriously messing around with it. Soon to start messing around with seating depth and then I'll start legging it out provided I can get through the snow. Might need showshoes.

At 1200ish with any of those calibers, your gett'in around the transconic effect. Now folks shoot well beyond that with fairly reliable results but at those ranges, there's so much about a shot that is not related to whether or not you can push the bullet 65 fps faster, that again, if 1200 is your primary focus, you'd be better focused on burning a bunch more powder to get the speeds well up there. Me... I mostly drive my vehicle between 0 and 75 and that's where the work gets done. Not say'in the '47's are better. Just say'in it's pretty good and a bunch of those PRS guys seem to think so as well. Of course firstly, those guys are a lot better than me. Then there's the fact that they tend to have very good equipment and the time and resources to practice the way that improves their performance so comparing them to me is really not getting us anywhere but I guess my point is that they wouldn't even go near the 6.5x47 if it was a goofy choice or didn't at least give them a good shot to compete. Me... I just kinda like it. The biggest problem with the '47 is the name. If they called it Fuzzy Bunny Killer, then it would be all the rage. Instead it's this this weird metric thing that we avoid like a durse of the clap. We should probably not let that cloud our judgement though. There's something to be said for reliable, repeatable results that don't break down the shooter through recoil or confidence. Truly, the only way to know anything is to try it. I tend to avoid AI's just cause of the additional work. You can actually add so many steps to your reloading that it's no longer fun.

Last edited:
^^^WELL SAID. I have a 4 port defensive edge brake on my X47. Kind of like shooting a pellet gun. JB1023 I would email Travis at R Bros rifles if you are interested in a 6.5X47. He has sent many rounds through the X47. I am sure he will be able to tell you about the 140-143 gr bullets. He recommended the 130 Berger and it shoots so good I haven't tried anything else. Some guys are getting very good velocity with the 140's.

Not quite sure about "so many extra steps it's no longer fun" when literally all you do is fire 100 rounds of brass 1 time, and thats it. I personally enjoy shooting so firing 100 rounds at steel or varmints doesn't take the fun out of it for me, just gives me more practice behind the trigger. And with my ackley, I haven't needed to trim my brass, and I'm on my 6th loading. I have bumped the shoulder on this last sizing but other than that just neck size, and my primer pockets are still tight, and I prefer to fire form factory brass to my chamber before I hunt anyway, so really it is no more steps. The only extra is the initial cost of dies, which can be expensive, however I got a Redding 3 die set for $100 on sale through midway, less than some standard die sets

However, if I was shooting a high intensity barrel burning cartridge, where I don't expect much more than 1000 rounds anyway, I would either avoid an ackley or get a whidden machine hydrolic form die, so I didn't cut into barrel life as much forming shoulders. However, with the heavy bullets I'm using and slow burning powder, I'm expecting barrel life of well over 2000 rounds

260,Creedmore and the 6.5X47 are all really close performance wise. As said earlier, I didn't want to be on the bandwagon so I went 6.5X47. It has become one of my favorite rifles. So much I am putting together a second in a light weight carry rifle rifle. My RBROS built 6.5X47 drives a 130 Berger right at 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel. Drops confirmed out to 910 yds. To me that is excellent performance out of such a small case. When Lapua comes out with brass for the Creedmore, I think it will really step up it's performance.

If you want to go old school you can always throw the original in there too 6.5x55. it's loaded way light in factory ammo, but with good brass and a strong action it can hang with the other 3.

If you want to go old school you can always throw the original in there too 6.5x55. it's loaded way light in factory ammo, but with good brass and a strong action it can hang with the other 3.

I really like the 6.5x55, however it needs to be in a long action. My father has one built on a maser 98 action, it is a sweet shooting rifle with the 140 Berger hybrids.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.