6.5 creedmore vrs 260 rem

Ballistically, the creedmoore has no advantage over the .260, in fact the .260 has small advantage over the creedmoore, though not much. However, ill list the advantages/disadvantages of both.

Creedmoore - if you do not handload, there is a much wider variety of good long range factory ammo to choose from. .260, not so much. If you do reload, the shorter case length of the creedmoore makes it easier to seat the longer high bc bullets farther out, thus usually aiding in accuracy as well as increasing the cartridges capacity, improving performance, though still slightly less than the capabilities of the .260

.260 Rem - Slight ballistic advantage, as well as having easily available lapua brass if you handload, Lapua brass for creedmoore, not so much. The .260 can also have brass made from .243, 7mm-08, or even .308 if you are in a pinch, though may require neck turning. A downside, if you run it in a short action remington with a standard box mag, you will most likely run into seating depth issues. However this can be remedied if you run a DBM that accepts AICS mags, you can modify standard AICS mags and have about 2.950" or just buy the Alpha type 2 mag for cheaper, and have 2.965" seating, though you will need to take some material off your feed ramp to run this long. Oh, and one more advantage, you don't have to tell all your friends that your on the creedmoore bandwagon.... :)

Overall, I would say it depends what you want. If your building a rifle that is gonna have a dbm anyway, I would go .260. If you want to stay with your factory mag box, or you don't reload, creedmoore.

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to be thorough.

The Creedmore is a fearly new cartridge to New Zealand i hunt with the 260 tikka lite from what i cn understand is they are the same ballisticly within 30 fps or so

Ya, if all factors remain the same the .260 will run a little better but it's not huge. I run a .260 ackley with a 30" barrel, and it outperforms a creedmoore substantially, as to be expected.

It's main purpose was to fit better in the short action which it does while still running with the 260 rem in a more efficient case design. As said before if you don't reload then the Creed is clearly the better option. Just about every major manufacturer is making brass or ammo for the creed. Even lapua is introducing brass for it now. So if you reload it's still a wash. Boils down to personal preference. I'm personally running 143s at 2875 and 140s I'd say around or over 2900 (haven't had a chance to chrono the 140s yet) with rl-17 and with h4350 I'm at 2855. Plenty fast enough for me and I'll take the more efficient case design. Proud to be on the Creedmoor "bandwagon" as some here will call it:D

It's main purpose was to fit better in the short action which it does while still running with the 260 rem in a more efficient case design. As said before if you don't reload then the Creed is clearly the better option. Just about every major manufacturer is making brass or ammo for the creed. Even lapua is introducing brass for it now. So if you reload it's still a wash. Boils down to personal preference. I'm personally running 143s at 2875 and 140s I'd say around or over 2900 (haven't had a chance to chrono the 140s yet) with rl-17 and with h4350 I'm at 2855. Plenty fast enough for me and I'll take the more efficient case design. Proud to be on the Creedmoor "bandwagon" as some here will call it:D

Lol yes, I do agree it's a very efficient cartridge, it does exactly as advertised and makes a great efficient short action long range cartridge. And if you are not running a long action or detachable mag with longer OAL ability, or if you don't reload, the Creedmoor is the clear choice. I went with the .260 AI, as I wanted the most performance possible out of a short action without changing my bolt face to a magnum dia. I also run an AICS bottom metal and can seat my rounds long.

With h4831 I ran the 140 Bergers at 2930, but that was over a grain below my max, that's just where it shot good, but I got them going 3025, the 143's shot good at 2975, got them to 3015, but I'm currently experimenting with Reloder 26, and I got the 147 eldm to 3092 Avg, but I didnt find max, the load that is looking promising is going 3042 Avg...at that speed, I'm only falling about 50ish ft- lbs short of a 7mm rem mag @1000yds sending a 168 berger at 3050, with less drop and wind drift and more velocity.

Lol yes, I do agree it's a very efficient cartridge, it does exactly as advertised and makes a great efficient short action long range cartridge. And if you are not running a long action or detachable mag with longer OAL ability, or if you don't reload, the Creedmoor is the clear choice. I went with the .260 AI, as I wanted the most performance possible out of a short action without changing my bolt face to a magnum dia. I also run an AICS bottom metal and can seat my rounds long.

With h4831 I ran the 140 Bergers at 2930, but that was over a grain below my max, that's just where it shot good, but I got them going 3025, the 143's shot good at 2975, got them to 3015, but I'm currently experimenting with Reloder 26, and I got the 147 eldm to 3092 Avg, but I didnt find max, the load that is looking promising is going 3042 Avg...at that speed, I'm only falling about 50ish ft- lbs short of a 7mm rem mag @1000yds sending a 168 berger at 3050, with less drop and wind drift and more velocity.

Those are impressive. I actually almost went with a 260 ackley but I decided against it. Mainly because I already had the stuff to do it from my previous creedmoor before I built the one I have now. I'm running a 26in tube with zero signs of pressure. Running 42 grains with both powders. Ran as high as 43 still no pressure but I liked my 42 grains load better.

260,Creedmore and the 6.5X47 are all really close performance wise. As said earlier, I didn't want to be on the bandwagon so I went 6.5X47. It has become one of my favorite rifles. So much I am putting together a second in a light weight carry rifle rifle. My RBROS built 6.5X47 drives a 130 Berger right at 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel. Drops confirmed out to 910 yds. To me that is excellent performance out of such a small case. When Lapua comes out with brass for the Creedmore, I think it will really step up it's performance.

260,Creedmore and the 6.5X47 are all really close performance wise. As said earlier, I didn't want to be on the bandwagon so I went 6.5X47. It has become one of my favorite rifles. So much I am putting together a second in a light weight carry rifle rifle. My RBROS built 6.5X47 drives a 130 Berger right at 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel. Drops confirmed out to 910 yds. To me that is excellent performance out of such a small case. When Lapua comes out with brass for the Creedmore, I think it will really step up it's performance.

I agree, that will get the Creedmoor even more of a following. I'm doing the same thing as you, I have a 13.5 lb .260 AI, and I like it so much that I'm rebarreling a .308 savage 11 I have to 260 ai, and finished scoped rifle will be around 9.5 lb with a 24" or 25" tube, should be more manageable than the other one ha ha

Those are impressive. I actually almost went with a 260 ackley but I decided against it. Mainly because I already had the stuff to do it from my previous creedmoor before I built the one I have now. I'm running a 26in tube with zero signs of pressure. Running 42 grains with both powders. Ran as high as 43 still no pressure but I liked my 42 grains load better.

Ya, it's hard to change when you already have all the components, dies, and previous experience with a cartridge. Especially when you would have to go to the work of buying new brass when you probably already have some, fireforming, paying the premium for custom dies, ect. It makes sense to stick with what you know works ha ha

Ya, it's hard to change when you already have all the components, dies, and previous experience with a cartridge. Especially when you would have to go to the work of buying new brass when you probably already have some, fireforming, paying the premium for custom dies, ect. It makes sense to stick with what you know works ha ha

Nah that's not what really steered me. I live in northern NH. So here my furthest shot hunting will be about 600. So I didn't need the extra 100-150 f0s that I would gain with the 260 Ackley. However I can shoot close to a mile in a couple spots for target shooting. Next build I do will be an ackley. Probably 22-250 with a 1:8 twist.

Agreed.

When discussing short action 6.5's of the 260 Rem class, the 6.5x47 deserves a seat at the table. Of all three calibers mentioned, the 6.5x47 is most able to take advantage of longer bullets. The small primer pockets substantially extends the life of the brass and it's easy to find a load for. Case capacity is slightly less however because of the efficient design of the case, any small practical ballistic advantage between the three can be negligible just depending upon where your accuracy node falls. It also happens to be a peach to shoot. All three are great. I've just become fond of the '47.

Mike338. FINALLY! another X47 fan. Seems the 6.5X47 is left out of most threads and I can't understand why.

Following this thread. My next build will be a 260ai, 6.5CM or '47. I want to get into PRS and plan to rechamber my Howa 308 for this purpose. Seems the '47 would have a slight advantage in terms of lower recoil for quick follow up shots but the CM or AI would be preferable for getting a projectile out to 1200 because of the high bc 140's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.