6.5 Creedmore: Ruger RPR or Remington MODEL 700 5-R STAINLESS THREADED GEN 2

LDHunter

I've been partial to Remington Rifles for about 16 years now and have several that shoot better than I can hold. My favorite ones are the 700LTR and I have one in 308 and one in 223 that both shoot incredibly well with almost any ammo or handloads.

Remington now makes a MODEL 700 5-R STAINLESS THREADED GEN 2 and I'll supply a link below. It's precisely what I'm inclined to buy but the RPR has such a great reputation that I'm on the fence. The 5-R Gen 2 seems almost identical to the LTR's but with a longer stock and barrel but it has the same shallow fluting that is somewhat ugly but it DOES reduce weight somewhat and doesn't seem to affect accuracy. I also like that it's stainless because I live in steamy Florida.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2

Please help me decide. I'd LOVE to hear from someone that has one of the Remingtons already or that maybe at least has experience with a 5R rifled Remington in 6.5 or another similar caliber (eg. 308 or 260). The HS Precision aluminum bedding blocks are so incredibly good if you skim bed the action on top of the aluminum bedding blocks so far for me that I'm really wanting to stick with what is familiar to me and comfortable for me but I am interested in long range accuracy above all.

Help please....

$bob$

Do you want a traditional style stock or chassis? Both will be accurate. I have a gen 1 5r 300 win mag and a gen 1 RPR 6.5 creedmoor. Both are great, and hard to compare apples to apples with them being different calibers but in my 2 rifles the 5r 300wm is a sub MOA gun when finding the right load, and I have had the action trued in this rifle. But the RPR, which is bone stock, is a half MOA gun with **** near any bullet I throw at it. And even less than that when you find the right load for it. The thing just shoots.

I guess I want justification for staying with the HS stocks and Remington rifles which I love so much and since I'm also a hunter it's really a fairly easy decision to steer away from the chassis rifles but accuracy is so critical too...

Both will be accurate. I have a milspec Gen 1, it's very accurate, about on par with a buddy's rpr, but he also has a gen 1 milspec that out shoots both mine and his rpr. So I wouldn't worry about that rifle accuracy wise, it'll hold its own against an rpr. The Hs stock does have a goofy palm swell and the trigger needs replacement.
Not sure ur intentions, but I take my milspec hunting all the time, the rpr is really for prone shooting and doesn't balance well at all.
Some other rifles that are similar criteria that u might want to check out:
Bergara hmr
Sako a7 range
Tikka ctr
Tikka a1

If they changed the ergonomics of that stock on the gen 2, I would buy one in a second

--- snip ---
If they changed the ergonomics of that stock on the gen 2, I would buy one in a second

Ok... Now that you've mentioned the palm swell I don't mind the one on my HS Precision Stocked LTR's because of my big hands and the fact that I've been shooting rifles with the same stocks for about 15 years. Is it the same or similar to these?

Regarding y'all telling me how well your 5-R barrels shoot I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gen 2.

Thanks for your help. Now I can start getting excited. It's also great because I intend to suppress this rifle when I get my trust completed and their muzzles come pre-threaded.

Ok... Now that you've mentioned the palm swell I don't mind the one on my HS Precision Stocked LTR's because of my big hands and the fact that I've been shooting rifles with the same stocks for about 15 years. Is it the same or similar to these?
Not sure...they are wide and designed to be pulled into your shoulder from a prone position without gripping it as much with ur fingers

Once you shoot a chassis you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. The RPR is kinda rough around the edges. Alot of that can be fixed for free if your handy. Already you have a slew of aftermarket support. I've shot a 308gen2 and a 243 gen 1 rpr. Both would shoot better than most shooters. If your choose that option and it isn't perfect Kreiger, LRI(K&P), Proo,f Criterion, along with a host of others offers drop in barrels. Remington is in the midst of a bankruptcy. QC was questionable before they filed. Something you should consider. They were struggling before and QC is always the first thing that goes down hill in these situations

In all honesty, I've not shot, or even handled one of the RPR's. But, if you look @ my screen name, you'll guess what my vote is!! I love my 5r's.... I have a Gen 1 of the 223, 308, & the 300WM. The 223 & 308 were very easy to find a good load for, still working on the 300WM, haven't had it nearly as long as the other two. But I love the 5R models so much, I actually had another built to copy them. I took a stainless 700 SA, a Bartlien 5R 6mm blank, chambered in 6x47 Lapua, & put it all in a used 5R stock.... It's a "tack-Driver"! I guess i must be different, because I like the HSP stocks that come on the 5R's. Some hate the 'palm-swell', but for me it puts my trigger finger just right on the Timney 510 wide trigger I use!!! It feels great to me!!! So, my vote goes to the Rem 700, 5R! Oh, & you guys can keep taking off those HSP stocks, & sell them, because, I'm thinking of building another 5R clone...... Ha Ha Ha!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!! Idaho-5R

5R hear too. I only have one in 300wm but it is scary accurate. Didn't know I was capable of shooting 1" groups at 400 yrds till I got this rifle.

In all honesty, I've not shot, or even handled one of the RPR's. But, if you look @ my screen name, you'll guess what my vote is!! I love my 5r's.... I have a Gen 1 of the 223, 308, & the 300WM. The 223 & 308 were very easy to find a good load for, still working on the 300WM, haven't had it nearly as long as the other two. But I love the 5R models so much, I actually had another built to copy them. I took a stainless 700 SA, a Bartlien 5R 6mm blank, chambered in 6x47 Lapua, & put it all in a used 5R stock.... It's a "tack-Driver"! I guess i must be different, because I like the HSP stocks that come on the 5R's. Some hate the 'palm-swell', but for me it puts my trigger finger just right on the Timney 510 wide trigger I use!!! It feels great to me!!! So, my vote goes to the Rem 700, 5R! Oh, & you guys can keep taking off those HSP stocks, & sell them, because, I'm thinking of building another 5R clone...... Ha Ha Ha!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!! Idaho-5R

How does that 223 shoot factory ammo?

My 308 5r shoots pretty dang good. Been wanting a .223 or gen2 6.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.