6.5 Creedmore flash hole size

GW Hunter

Posting for a friend who just picked up a 6.5 creed. It seems there is brass for this with different size flash holes. Is this because they are available in small and large rifle primer? Smaller flash hole for small rifle primer and larger hole for large rifle primer?

That Lapua small flash hole is a pain. I probably ruined some brass with my universal deprime. You can buy small flash hole pins or do like I did and spin it up in a drill and file/sand the pin down so it won't get stuck or enlarge the flash hole.

Take this for what it is worth...

Lapua conducted multiple studies in the development and testing of their 6.5 CM brass and determined that the most consistent ignition and, therefore, consistent groups were found to be utilizing a small rifle primer (preferably small magnum) and an "undersized" flash hole.

Their choice to go with this relatively unconventional undersized flash hole has ruined many a decapping rod, to be sure. Redding specifically makes undersized decapping pins for exactly this reason.

Lapua dumped a good deal of time, effort and money into conducting these "best case/best potential" studies on 6.5 CM brass. It is for this reason that many other companies, such as Peterson and Starline have also introduced small rifle primer versions of this brass. In fact, many companies now offer both versions in several calibers for "discerning" shooters.

I'll be honest, I run a bunch of both the small and large primer versions in CM, from all of the above listed manufacturers and I have not found a significant difference at this point. It is entirely possible that I am not a shooter that is capable of squeezing that last little bit out to find an advantage in the small primer/x-small flash hole, but I guess it's nice to know that the potential is supposed to be out there for the taking.

I use Lapua SRP brass with the small flash hole for all of my 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I also use Redding dies which came with the appropriate size decapping pin for the small flash holes.

The combo works great and I never had a reason to change anything.

FWIW - some shooters like to run their Creedmoor ammo HOT. For those guys the small primer brass lasts longer. A smaller primer pocket = more brass in the head to withstand increased pressure.

I use Lapua SRP brass with the small flash hole for all of my 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I also use Redding dies which came with the appropriate size decapping pin for the small flash holes.

The combo works great and I never had a reason to change anything.

FWIW - some shooters like to run their Creedmoor ammo HOT. For those guys the small primer brass lasts longer. A smaller primer pocket = more brass in the head to withstand increased pressure.
Yup. Forgot to mention the longevity that you gain in the primer pocket. Nice catch on that.

SRP in all my Creedmoor experiences. It's not a pain if you set up your resize die properly. An extra $10 for the decapping pin is no big deal. There's a reason Lapua, ADG, Peterson and all top tier brass makers provide SRP brass.

Yeah I also run the Lapua brass. Same thing with their 6.5 Grendel brass with the small flash hole. I've jacked up a couple flash holes when I've forgotten about it and used my Lee Universal decapper in preparation for wet tumbling.

I have two Lee decappers. One with a normal pin, and one with a smaller diameter pin that I turned down in my drill press. I still use the normal ones on other brass because I process a lot of range brass 9mm, 45 acp etc that sometimes has rocks and crap in it and I imagine the thicker pin is a bit more durable.

With things the way they are now, I'd buy whatever brass you have primers for. I've had excellent results with each, longer life with the Lapua SRP, however.

The small primer and small flash hole have been used on Lapua 6.5x47 brass since it's conception.
If it's available this way….I buy it!
I use the 22-250 Lapua small flash hole brass for hunting small game and, use the same brass for my comp rifle to form 22-250AI.
If I had a Creed, either 6mm or 6.5mm I would be using the small primer brass, it's just that much better and lasts a looong time.
There are 2 flash hole sizes in large primer for rifles too, the US size of .082" and the European size of .078".
So if you experience a tight flash hole in Lapua or Norma brass, this is why. Most times a standard decapping pin will fit, but not always.

Cheers.