6.5 Creedmore AR15 upper build questions

jmr1969

I have built my first AR15 (with a lot of help from my dad!) but after watching some online videos namely TNP stuff I thought it would be fun to have a long range AR upper that I could swap with my .223 but here are my questions:
What parts other than barrel and bolt do I need to get specifically for the caliber?
Is there a parts list for the AR just for this caliber?
Is there a barrel and bolt combo you recommend ?
For longer range 400 - 600 6.5 Creedmore is > Grendal ? I really don't know?

My current Long range rifle project is a 700

I love to shoot and If I can do it with my dad its even better! It's a lot of FUN!

Thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have built my first AR15 (with a lot of help from my dad!) but after watching some online videos namely TNP stuff I thought it would be fun to have a long range AR upper that I could swap with my .223 but here are my questions:
What parts other than barrel and bolt do I need to get specifically for the caliber?
Is there a parts list for the AR just for this caliber?
Is there a barrel and bolt combo you recommend ?
For longer range 400 - 600 6.5 Creedmore is > Grendal ? I really don't know?

My current Long range rifle project is a 700

I love to shoot and If I can do it with my dad its even better! It's a lot of FUN!

Thank you in advance for any help!

I have a 20" Grendel and he is correct, the 6.5 Creedmore is not compatible with AR15 Lower.
All you need if you already have an AR15 is the barrel, bolt and magazine. Alexander Arms sale complete uppers for the Grendel FYI.

Yep, go with the 6.5 Grendel.......but unless you plan on disassembling your current .223 upper (which I highly doubt), you are going to need to build a complete upper. The only parts that make sense to use from your existing upper are the (a) bolt carrier (need to swap out bolt only) and (b) charging handle. Thus, you will need the following for your build:
1) stripped upper
2) 6.5 Grendel Barrel
3) 6.5 Grendel Bolt (to match chamber......usually a Type II Grendel bolt)
4) gas block (prefer Adjustable in the Grendel) and gas tube
5) hand guard

Or, you could just buy a new or used complete upper. To gain all the information you will need on the 6.5 Grendel, you should check out www.65grendel.com.

Yep, go with the 6.5 Grendel.......but unless you plan on disassembling your current .223 upper (which I highly doubt), you are going to need to build a complete upper. The only parts that make sense to use from your existing upper are the (a) bolt carrier (need to swap out bolt only) and (b) charging handle. Thus, you will need the following for your build:
1) stripped upper
2) 6.5 Grendel Barrel
3) 6.5 Grendel Bolt (to match chamber......usually a Type II Grendel bolt)
4) gas block (prefer Adjustable in the Grendel) and gas tube
5) hand guard

Or, you could just buy a new or used complete upper. To gain all the information you will need on the 6.5 Grendel, you should check out www.65grendel.com.

I agree, im considering another Grendel upper from Alexander Arms right now. I was just trying to tell him the difference in parts required and what was compatible.

how About going to the AR-10 and building it to the .260? you may have feeding problems if you try the creedmore because of the shoulder angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.