6.5 creedmor vs 280ai

etisll40

Which of these would you consider better if building one. Mostly to be used for target and long range varmint hunting. Or just go 308...

Yep the 280AI definitely has more horsepower but since you mentioned varmint not big game the Creedmoor could suffice nicely

Because of what you want it for I'd definitely pick the 6.5 creedmoor. Cheaper to shoot, less power, and recoil, easy to shoot. If big game was on your hit list as well then the 280 AI would stand out a little more

I built two semi customs that are basically twins, one in 6.5 creedmoor one in 280 ackley. I say 6.5 creedmoor for what op described. Both are great rounds, but the ackley is definitely a hand loaders game. I'll throw in a curve to op, lately I have had a hard time putting down the third almost matching rifle to the group.....it's a split the difference cartridge, the 7mm08.

I love the 6.5 Creedmoor for mountain hunting. Bucks the wind great and kills goats and sheep real well.

The .280 AI may be my favorite cartridge of all time (sorry .257 and .300 Wby). Light recoil, accurate, hits with authority. What is not to love about such a great cartridge. If I could only have one cartridge for all of my game needs, it would be the .280 AI.

Both are good, but I would choose neither for what you described...

I would build either an AR (DMR setup) in 6.5 Grendel, or a bolt-action in .260 AI, or .25-06 AI pushing Berger 115 VLD's.

I'm reading good things about the 6.5 Creedmore is here to stay so I think building one could be like owning a 308 down the road. It's a good case design and the component guys seem to be supporting it like 223, 308, and 300 win mag. Cheap and easy to shoot. I have to 7 stw's so maybe the 280ai is too much a specialty for what I want to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.