6.5 Creedmor or 6.5 PRC? Budget Rifle & Scope Recommendations?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I am wanting something a little smaller and cheaper to shoot than my 300WM. I am wanting this rifle for mule deer hunting (out to 600 yards) & LR shooting practice, considering I am very new to it all.

I am wanting to stay as close as I can to sub $1000 for both the rifle and scope combined.

First of all...

6.5 CM or PRC?
Rifle recommendations?
Scope recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I'd go Creedmoor. I got both. It's a little cheaper to shoot the Creedmoor and more Ammo options if you don't reload. Tikka t3x is hard to beat for a good all around rifle. Every one I've seen has shot great right out of the box. Vortex has some good scopes that are economical. Hard to beat a Remington 700 as well. Lot of aftermarket support if you go that route.

T3 Lite in 6.5 CM

SWFA 10X (buy during their black friday sale)

It'll be close to sub 1K

It'll shoot balls out! No need to make this tougher than it needs to be :) (not that I've ever done that....snicker)

Thank you! Are the SWFA scopes a locked 10 power? Since this will be a hunting rifle, I'd like magnification adjustability.

Whatever you do, I'd wait till black Friday. Buddy got a stainless 6.5cm t3 in for like $500 or something, and another friend picked up an SWFA for super cheap. I think Bergara runs some pretty good deals also.

Hello all,

I am wanting something a little smaller and cheaper to shoot than my 300WM. I am wanting this rifle for mule deer hunting (out to 600 yards) & LR shooting practice, considering I am very new to it all.

I am wanting to stay as close as I can to sub $1000 for both the rifle and scope combined.

First of all...

6.5 CM or PRC?
Rifle recommendations?
Scope recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

If you're on a budget, then CM. The CM is also really accurate--even with good factory ammo.

If you're wanting to keep the cost to shoot down as well then hands down the 6.5 CM. The PRC has shortage of brass and ammo options at this point. At this time brass is in a serious shortage and ammo just as tough to get. I'd go 6.5 CM due to this. Savage makes some nice rifles in the $500-600 range and the Ruger American also would be a solid option. A friend of mine has a Ruger American that shoots 1/2 moa and he got it for $429 on sale. That will leave you a nice budget for a quality optic. I recently purchased a made in Japan Crimson Trace series 2 2.5-16 scope that has superb glass and turrets. Paid $399 for it. Camerlandny @gr8fuldoug has some very nice Meopta scopes on sale also in the $400-500 range that also include rings. You can put together a solid rig for that budget. Take your time and do the research. With the holidays approaching you should find some fantastic deals coming up. Good luck and let us know how it all comes together.

I'd second the recommendations for a tikka.

With regards to caliber, if you're on a budget, don't reload, and are just looking at deer I'd go creedmoor. If you do reload, RL26 can close the gap between the two. I love my PRC, but I'm loading light at 3060 fps with 140s, a lot of people are doing 2900s (or more) with RL26 in the creedmoor.

Id go with the Savage 110 tactical or desert tactical in 6.5 creedmoor. Id put a SWFA 10x or 12x scope on it. The 6x is a handicap at the range. I have shot a deer at 50yds and antelope at 600 with the 10x. This model of savage has an aluminum bedding block and is pretty stiff for a factory plastic stock. First picture is my desert tac in 6 creedmoor at 100yds. This is the dtac bullet.

I picked up a remington 700 long range last year, I am having accuracy issues with it. Sounds like I am not alone.

I have not been too impressed with the sub $1000 Tikka factory plastic stocks. I dont think they are much better than a savage 12FV, the stocks anyway.

The ruger americans are accurate but again whippy plastic factory stocks. 2nd picture is my gowild in .308 win with 125gr tnts @ 100yds. This has a 12x swfa off the 700LR. Was checking for scope issues by swapping it to a known accurate rifle, obviously the scope isn't the problem here.

Attachments

• 20201107_165711.jpg
    20201107_165711.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 20201107_165714.jpg
    20201107_165714.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 203
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts