6.5 Creedmoor

You can buy a box of Federal classics, the one in the red and white box, and kill every deer as far as you can hit them

Just purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor for my 12 yr old son to hunt whitetails with. I wanted something lightweight, and so wanted least amount of recoil. I bought a browning xbolt composite stalker. It Will be used in woods primarily, mixed with some farm country hunting. Expected shots under 200 yards. Which bullet kills the best from this caliber? I was planning on using 143 eldx. But saw some comments where guys weren't happy with them. Should I go lighter and get impact velocity up? Or just pick a different bullet?
Barnes X, is the best bullet for weight retention. Perfect expansion. I have used this bullet for some 25 years. 120 gr. TTSX BT, would be perfect for deer. You won't be sorry. The eldx seems to seperate on impact. Just saying.

When I saw a guy on the internet talking down Nosler Partitions I knew that no matter how good a bullet was some idiot would have something bad to say about it. There is nothing wrong with the eldx. However for inside 300 yds the sst is a good killer as well. The Nosler partition, ballistic tips and accubonds work well too. And as you have seen people post the 140 amax now eldm works good at creedmore velocities. Especially at longer ranges where the bullet slows down or from a short barrel. Same thing.
Yep, I have also had good results with nosler bt and partition. The partition seem to hold together much better , for hunting bigger game. Moose/bear/elk. Hornady seems to break apart. All will kill, if shot placement is right.

ELDX is fine. In my 20 years of hunting and 20+ whitetail, 4 hogs, and 1 coyote. The 3 DRT were 2 deer shot with the 143 ELDX and the coyote. I thought I missed all three. Got out of the stand to literally see them dead in the spot I shot them at. I have shot a buck at 20 yards through the lungs with a Hawkins 50 cal and he still managed to run 100 yards.

Interesting to note the ELDX didn't exit on any of the animals. Shots were between 75-110 yards on all 3. Could not recover the entire bullet either. Just pieces of jacket and some lead core.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your expected hunting distances will be 200 yards or less you won't need the ELD-X. In a .30-06 the ELD-X will expand out to 800 yards.

Most standard ammo such as Remington Core-Lokt PSPand Hornady American Whitetail PSP and will expand out to 400 to 450 yards. Before the scamdemic these could be had for less than $20/bx.

The Remington Core-Lokt was introduced about 75 years ago. It's been around that long because it does the job.

As your son shooting distances increase with experience you can move up to premium ammo. If you stay within 450 yards standard ammo will do the job.

Your game won't be any more dead when shot with $45 a box ammo than it would with $20 a box ammo.

I would look into some Hammer bullets. I run the 124 HH out of my 6.5x47 at 2938 FPS. Been devastating on whitetail. Also very easy to develop a load for.

note the ELDX didn't exit on any of the animals. Shots were between 75-110 yards on all 3. Could not recover the entire bullet either
What were you shooting them from I'm curious?

To the op: I have shot a lot of critters now with the 143 eldx and so far nothing has gotten a way.

The factory second ones I've hit repeatedly @1400 yards on steel.

What were you shooting them from I'm curious?

To the op: I have shot a lot of critters now with the 143 eldx and so far nothing has gotten a way.

The factory second ones I've hit repeatedly @1400 yards on steel.

6.5 CM, the factory stuff from Hornady. It was out of a GAP crusader.

Barnes X, is the best bullet for weight retention. Perfect expansion. I have used this bullet for some 25 years. 120 gr. TTSX BT, would be perfect for deer. You won't be sorry. The eldx seems to seperate on impact. Just saying.
I agree however I use the 127LRX in my Creedmoor and my 65-300. I took down a nice bull this year with the weatherby and a nice eight pointer with the creed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.