6.5 Creedmoor

oldmossy

Just purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor for my 12 yr old son to hunt whitetails with. I wanted something lightweight, and so wanted least amount of recoil. I bought a browning xbolt composite stalker. It Will be used in woods primarily, mixed with some farm country hunting. Expected shots under 200 yards. Which bullet kills the best from this caliber? I was planning on using 143 eldx. But saw some comments where guys weren't happy with them. Should I go lighter and get impact velocity up? Or just pick a different bullet?

for 300 and under I would go with one of the sierra offerings they are less expensive which would allow for more practice and they kill very well the 130 hpbt gameking is a great bullet they shoot like match bullets and penetrate good

I was planning on using 143 eldx. But saw some comments where guys weren't happy with them.
Well there are thousands of guys who are happy with them! I am one of them.

My neighbor has two daughters. One 15 and the other 12. Both got deer and elk tags for youth hunts in New Mexico this year. Both used Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor's and Hornady Precision Hunter in 143 ELD-X. Both got their tags filled and all the animals dropped dead within 20 yards. One shot was over 250 yards...no problem.

My son and I took 2 hogs at 270 yards with both of us shooting Rem. 260's with Hornady 140gr ELD-M bullets. His hog was broadside and mine was quartering away. Each of us shot at the same time and both hogs fell where they stood. I didn't recover either bullet but knowing how tough hogs can be I was impressed with the performance of this bullet.

IMG_0004.JPG

When I saw a guy on the internet talking down Nosler Partitions I knew that no matter how good a bullet was some idiot would have something bad to say about it. There is nothing wrong with the eldx. However for inside 300 yds the sst is a good killer as well. The Nosler partition, ballistic tips and accubonds work well too. And as you have seen people post the 140 amax now eldm works good at creedmore velocities. Especially at longer ranges where the bullet slows down or from a short barrel. Same thing.

I knew that no matter how good a bullet was some idiot would have something bad to say about it.
Yep. Also ever notice how it is seldom if ever their fault...all their shots are well placed and it is the bullets fault.
Looks like you guys had a good day!

I got a few hundred 143gr Factory Seconds from Midway that look and measure suspiciously like 143gr ELD-X, and I just loaded a batch tonight to replace 140gr Partitions as my hunting ammo. The Partitions were shooting a solid 1MOA, but the 143s I tested were stacking in one hole, are cheaper, and most importantly were available. I figure one in the boiler room will work with either of them.

I got a few hundred 143gr Factory Seconds from Midway that look and measure suspiciously like 143gr ELD-X, and I just loaded a batch tonight to replace 140gr Partitions as my hunting ammo. The Partitions were shooting a solid 1MOA, but the 143s I tested were stacking in one hole, are cheaper, and most importantly were available. I figure one in the boiler room will work with either of them.
I purchased 1k of these. I measured 100x bullets and the base to ogive varies by as much as 0.015" which is pretty uncool. I'll just sort em I guess.

Under 300 yards just get some cheap (if you can find it) SP bullet. Go look up history of the ELD bullet with its AMP jacket and you'll see why guys shooting deer at 50-100 yards might be having issues.

I started all my kids with the 260 (same capacity as the creed). My daughter is the oldest and at 10 she was about 70 pounds. The rifle is a 700 Titanium and with 130s/140s it is a snot knocker. I loaded 100 grain Partitions to about 2950fps and what a killing machine with very mild recoil. She killed a 200 pound mule deer with that bullet at 346 yards and it sprayed blood in the snow on the off side. A great combo for kids or anyone shooting 400 yards and in. 4 kids, a brother-in-law, a niece, a nephew and myself have used that gun and load and shot well over 20 deer with it never needing a second shot.

I have used a 6.5 Creedmoor the last 4 years and have killed anything from hogs, deer, muley, antelope and Elk with mine. I use the 143 ELDX at all distances from 20 yards up to 750 yards. Great bullet, I personally have not had any issues with it. I also reload for my uncle who uses the Gamechangers in 130 and I have thought about changing to them. Also a great bullet. All of the bullets mentioned will work just fine as long as shot placement is correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.