6.5 Creedmoor

Building a .22 Creedmoor. Since the 6.5 Creedmoor is the parent case, will the 6.5CM headspace gauges work for headspacing?

The .22 Creedmoor is still a wildcat by specifications so there is some flexibility as to where is get a headspace dimension.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is the parent case for the 6mm Creedmoor so it stands to reason that the 6.5 Creedmoor is the parent case for the .22 Creedmoor as well. Both the 6.5 and the 6mm Creedmoor have the same SAAMI headspace range as delineated in the SAAMI manual. That range is 1.541" - 1.551" ( I have rounded off the last digit...).

So, the answer to your question is to use the standard 6.5mm Creedmoor headspace gauge and be happy. ;):D

Be sure to keep all of your Creedmoor cases segregated by caliber and consider marking the brass in some manner which is conducive to seeing the difference immediately.

Regards.

Nosler states that: "CASE HOLDS: 34.7 Gr. WATER" for the 22 Nosler which was, for all intent and purpose, designed for the AR platform.

The .224 Valkyrie capacity is approximately 34.5 grains of H2O.

The .22 Creedmoor has a capacity of approximately 52 grains OF H2O.

If you want a cartridge for the AR platform (5.56) then the 22 Nosler is there for you. If you want something with a little difference, the .224 Valkyrie is it. But when you want the gusto of case capacity and those longer, high BC bullets, the Creedmoor shows the way.

So the platform might figure in to this question or it might simply be which cartridge is the most popular. I build the .22 Creedmoor because of performance in bolt action rifles.

sable tireur

Thanks for the data. I was not sure how much diff there is between the two. You saved me the effort to find those numbers. An extra 10g or so of powder capacity is huge in the 22cal.

We just finished building a 22x47 Lap. Have only shot it a little but looks very promising. We need to throat is a bit deeper so we can seat further out before we move on with it.

Steve

I actually like the 22x47 Lapua for varmint shooting, it's just about perfect for mid- to longer range shooting. It saves fireforming the .22-250 also. The .22 Creedmoor though is reserved for those longer shots using the heavier VLD bullets. The older AMAX from 75 to 80 grains are superb.

We designed an 83g bullet for this rifle and were able to run it at 3400fps. It was seated way too deep taking up case space. After we get it throated deeper I expect it to gain a bit more vel. I personally really like the 6.5x47L case.

Steve

You might consider moving the freebore forward as well. We've found that the combination of a slightly longer freebore in conjunction with the extended throat makes for lower pressures and better velocities. Now not Weatherby lengths, just enough allowing the bullet to have a little 'breathing room'.

I've been using the 80 gr. AMAX in the .22 Creedmoor for prairie dogs with great success. A good front rest and rear bag control can make for some sporty shooting out to 800 yards if you have the scope for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.