6.5 creedmoor vs remington 260

riverhunt

I'm looking at an ruger american predator 6.5 creedmoor but new to the caliber and rifle. Would like thoughts on difference in it and 260. I know the American doesn't come in 260. I plan on shooting it for long range shooting 1000 yards. Sure I will hunt with it some to deer probably no farther than 500. Oh yeah don't worry if i plan an elk hunt I have a 7mm wsm proven at a 1000. Just looking for thoughts

lots of threads on this subject. Bottom line is that they are so close in many ways that it comes down to personal preference. I have a 6.5 CM in the Savage Predator model and it is a tack driver for sure.

The .260/2.60 AI nudges ahead by just enough to make me lean that direction. Plus, Lapua makes .260 brass.

Just my opinion.

If you hand load the edge goes to the 260 if you don't 6.5 creedmoor
the allure of the creed is the availability of match grade components in the form of factory ammo.
Jordan@406

If you go with the Ruger, add a Boyds stock in the budget. The RAR has potential to shoot really well, the stock is flimsy and I'm sure it flexes under recoil. Plus on a hot day, my neighbours RAR 30-06 barrel will touch the forearm. If your not very consistent in your form, the flimsy stock will start to show at extended ranges. I'm not a RAR hater, it just wont do very well at long range with the factory stock.

Currently shooting the 6.5X284 Norma. I bought a .260 Rem a few years back but in a Rem700 Mountain Rifle, not a LR rig for sure. My 12 yr old loved it until he out grew it but it killed everything he pointed it at!
Never owned, or even considered owning a 6.5 Creedmoor. When it first came out I chalked it up to marketing hype. "Can't do anything the .260 can't already do". It's Hornady's baby and they want to sell it. It's on the cover of the latest Hornady Reloading manual. Look at the ballistics of it compared to the 6.5X284. They make some excuse (for the 6.5x284) about a short throat or something, I forget now. Whatever! Proofs in the puddin'.
With all that said, I am not a Creedmoor hater either, just don't see the need. My vote would go with the .260 (if I had to regress) just for the Lapua brass benefit alone. JohnnyK.

6.5-284 vs 6.5 creed or 260 are not in the same league and not comparable. Apples to apples this like the 7mm mag to the 284. I am pretty sure you know all this but I just wanted to make sure the thread does not dive into that debate again.

6.5 creed vs 260 rem:

Other than performance, which both are very good. The creed can edge the 260 in design. Beyond that most everything goes to the 260 simply due to factory components. I am preparing to build a similar rifle for my brother and debate on the differences as well and these 2 things stand out:

Lapau brass
WAY more factory ammo combos

If you strictly reload and nosler custom brass fits your needs then the creed is fun and has that slightly unique flavor. The 260 seems less exotic but it is in a proven chambering and components are easily found. My buddies 260 shoots 140 vlds with h4831sc out of a 26" barrel at 2810 fps. It shoots consistent at .3 moa, has very little recoil, and he uses all sorts of brass.

Currently I am leaning toward the 260 simply so that my brother can take his son out shooting and ammo is available. He is not a reloader.

Ive got a Ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor. It cost a whopping $300.

It shoots in the .3's regularly, i have had zero problems with the stock.

Last week i shot 1045 with it, right at 3/4 minute 4 shot group after my first shot to figure wind.

123 grain amax
42.5 H4350
FGM210's
2740 FPS

If your not a handloader, you can get 140 amax match grade for $27 a box.

Hitting rocks 1/2 MOA in size out to 600 with a $300 gun - - - - whats not to love?gun)

Wish I could find one of those 6.5 Rugers but no one has them in stock locally or on line. Is it a zero MOA rail?

Yes, zero MOA rail, but in reality, unless you live at sea level, i dont see you needing a 20 MOA base, unless you have a scope with limited elevation adjustment.

Ive got a viper HSLR mounted on it, and can dial up to a little over 1200 yards.

I hear you on lack of availability! I bought mine at cabelas 4 months ago - the gun manager said i literally bought the last one available. I don't know how much truth to that their is - but they seem to be non-existent ever since then!

Thanks for the info. That was likely the scope I would use if I could ever find one. Have you considered an aftermarket stock for it?

If you hand load the edge goes to the 260 if you don't 6.5 creedmoor
the allure of the creed is the availability of match grade components in the form of factory ammo.
Jordan@406
Any one shoots long range mostly reloads being to expensive and time consuming finding a factory load. I think the big draw is the name creedmore. that is the attraction conjures up illusions of that famed long range match. the difference in between them is like the difference between coke and pepsi

I Havent had the need to buy a new stock for it. I had my shooting buddy take a piece of paper to check the floating while i loaded the bipod in the prone position and its free floating. maybe i got lucky - but i havent needed a new stock.

Only wish is that the factory trigger went down to 2 lbs.

I'm looking at an ruger american predator 6.5 creedmoor but new to the caliber and rifle. Would like thoughts on difference in it and 260. I know the American doesn't come in 260. I plan on shooting it for long range shooting 1000 yards. Sure I will hunt with it some to deer probably no farther than 500. Oh yeah don't worry if i plan an elk hunt I have a 7mm wsm proven at a 1000. Just looking for thoughts
Chambering wise. The 6.5 CM is a fine fine design. The 260 is long proven but seating optimally may result in single feed. I built mine as a 260, Friend has a Savage 6.5CM the accuracy is a tie.

So far I have popped for a Ruger American Rimfire, a centerfire is on the try it list. I am impressed with many things. There is a new stock on the way for the rimfire.

If it were me (IIWM), I would not hesitate to go with the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM.
and
At the moment I am leaning toward a Ruger American Predator in .223 and making my current .223 Weatherby into something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.