6.5 creedmoor shooting light bullets

bighorn1987

It seems everyone shoots heavy bullets in the 6.5 creedmoor is this cause the 1 in 8 won;t shoot 85 grain bullets worth a hoot it seems to me for varmints that would work well for light recoil I'm thinking of replacing a shot out 243 with 6.5 but want something that shoots light bullets as well as heavy for big game, versatile you don't need 120 gr for ground hogs.

The 8tw shoot lightweights very well. You really can't push them hard enough to blow up with the creedmoor. 120's would group better than 147's at 100yds for me. Once you get some distance though the wind let's it's presence know really fast

are you saying lightweights as in 85 grainers shoot well in 8tw or just the 120's Thanks!
I haven't shot 85's I did shoot 107's. They were under a minute at 100 but they were not my load or my rifle. That rifle was an 8tw savage 12FV. The cheap $219 Cabela's rifle. Twist isn't going to hurt you because a creed just cannot not push them fast enough to jacket failure.

Ive got some 85 SMK's I haven't messed with.
I had a 95 Amax load but had to re build it since I had some seating issue.
Just burned a 100gr Varminter through a Coyote a few nights ago. 2990fps in a 20" 1:8TR.
Ill fiddle with the 85 SMK's and get back to you.

thanks I'd like to know how the light bullets work if anyone else has any loads and how well they shoot i'd be interested. I shot 70 gr to 100 in my 243 and all would do 1/2" or better just wondered if a 6.5 would be as versatile .

If you are rebarreling you can always just use a 9 twist, that will be great for lighter bullets up to the 123's or maybe 130's depending on your altitude.

I too have shot the 107 tmk, shoots fine and @ 3112fps using varget. it is able to be pushed harder. I just didn't because it shot lights out at that speed. I have some 100gr that I may try

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.