6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5sst for practice and maybe first prs rifle?

Blaster01

So I'm thinking about building my first semi custom. What I'm thinking is a tikka action. And one of two barrels depending on what caliber I choose. If I go with 6.5 creedmoor I would get a 26 inch 7.5 twist one barrel. If I go with the 6.5sst I would go with a 26" 7.5 twist preferred barrel blanks. And also caliber dependent, the manners mcs-prs1tk or the krg bravo. I'm thinking if I go with the 6.5 creedmoor I'm almost going to have to get the manners because, with the longer bullets and the creed case, I won't be able to seat them where they should be seated and feed from an aics mag that the bravo takes. Which is why if I went with the sst, I could get the bravo because the oal on the Sherman is so much shorter and will feed from anything. Am I right in my thinking? Or are there other options for magazines besides the 2.860" short action aics mags that will work with the bravo? The loss in velocity by going with the creedmoor vs the sst does not bother me since this is just a practice rifle. If anything, less velocity will make me a better shooter by forcing me to be more accurate with my wind calls. Another thing I'm thinking is that eventually when I try my hand at prs, I would use this rifle. Any info or other ideas would be great! Thanks guys. Can't wait to hear from people way more experienced than me!

MDT mags have the no binder plate option with 2.950 coal in the aics pattern. Not many creedmoor reamers are going to give you the need for more than the standard magazine.

MDT mags have the no binder plate option with 2.950 coal in the aics pattern. Not many creedmoor reamers are going to give you the need for more than the standard magazine.
Will that feed reliably? I've heard without the binder plate, you usually have to make modifications to the receiver.

I use the 2.950 in my savage with no issues. The creedmoor barrel is loaded @2.800-2.825. The 243 barrel is loaded @ 2.925 with no issues. You will have to find out with your action. I have 0 experience with a tika. Both cases you mentioned should not need the longer magazine. If you are looking to get every last fps out of the creed get the sst instead.

My son and I each have a 6.5 Creedmoor. He has used his in PRS matches, and I will use mine at some point in gas gun. The OAL for his is 2.870 and works with Alpha mags with a binder plate. My OAL is only 2.805. Both loads are running 147ELD. To use non-binder mags, and ensure 100% performance and the ability to use long load, I have had to have my most of my rifles. My RPR didn't need anything. My Sako TRG had to have .020" taken off the front of the mag well. For my Rem 700s and clones, I got the LRI Arc Mag modification and it works like a charm. My wife's rem 700 6.5x47 (2.750 OAL) can run no binder mags now with that short length just fine.

So you MAY need to have something done to run no binder mags, it will be rifle dependent, but with a 6.5 Creedmoor, its likely a good load will not need to run no binder mags. Also, with the tikka, confirm how an AI sits in the mag well, but since it is a long action that uses different bolt stops, it might have plenty of room, especially with the CTRs running TRG mags which are essentially no binder AI length.

I'm also not an adherent to only having the bullet no deeper than the neck. I shoot a 6.5 Addiction (derived from the 6.5x55) and use a 147 ELD in that. My oal is 2.92 and my ogive is 2.275. I have a lot of bullet down in the case, and it is the most accurate rifle I have in my safe right now.

I think I decided on going buying a tikka wsm donor action and going with the 6.5 sst. Which has a short oal so I won't need to worry about it. Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts