6.5 Creedmoor: Maximum Lethal Range for Whitetail

A lot of the 6.5 bullets fall off in performance below 2200 fps. Plus, the 6.5mm bullets are so reliant upon retained weight and velocity to get the job done. A kiwi by the name of Nathan Foster has done a ton of research on the performance of bullets on game. You can read up on some of it on his webstie ballisticstudies.com. His books go into much more detail. For instance, the ELD series of bullets have a much smaller hollow point in the 6.5 vs the 7mm, which effects expansion. The better long range killer is the ELDM because it's jacket is thinner than the ELDX and expands more reliably. A good "in between" bullet is the Tipped Match King (i believe it's 130gr). It's jacket is thicker than the ELDM but thinner than the ELDX. The Partition is always an excellent bullet, but it's BC is a limiting factor. Honestly, you won't be disappointed with any of the bullets if you keep your range max to 600 yards. Although, like 25WSM noted, if you hand load and use RL26, you'll get 6.5-284 Norma performance out of the cartridge and expand your lethal distances

Be curious to see if there was any data out there for the 6.5 CM and R26 that was actually pressure tested. I'm drawing a blank currently if there is any available. Guess I need more Red Bull this morn:)

Be curious to see if there was any data out there for the 6.5 CM and R26 that was actually pressure tested. I'm drawing a blank currently if there is any available. Guess I need more Red Bull this morn:)
I think Berger got the ball rolling with the 135 classic hunter with R26 and it took off from there, that's the only manufacturer data I've seen.

Last time I spoke with Berger, they weren't actually pressure testing their loads but using QL...not a fan personally

But, maybe they've modified their ways

that's what I thought as well, it was a couple years back now when I asked them, perhaps they've changed their ways..........as one of my best friends says "pressure equals velocity" there's not free lunch.

When I hear of someone running a CM case @ 284 cases speeds it only reeks of pressure....everyone has their own choices to make

Thank you I've always used 1800 fps/1000 ke as a baseline but I've been reading that these newer long range bullets that have good expansion well below 1800 fps can be lethal even below 1000 lbs of KE on whitetail.
That 1,800 I believe is for Elk and 1,000 to 1,200 for big deer should do fine.

Ran some simulations courtesy of MERC - Maximum Effective Range Calculator. I'm biased of course, but highly recommend you try it out for yourself!

Simulations used 1MOA rifle, 10 ± 3 mph crosswind shifting ± 30°, ± 5 yards range uncertainty, and muzzle velocity SD of 10 fps. I used velocities from MidwayUSA's product pages for the trajectory inputs. The target size for the hit probabilities is 9" in diameter.

Federal Premium 130 Terminal Ascent @ 2825 fps
View attachment 212267

Nosler Trophy Grade 129 Accubond Long Range @ 2850 fps
View attachment 212268

Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X @ 2700 fps
View attachment 212269

Hope that helps. As mentioned, to really see what variables affect each load, download a copy of MERC for yourself and play around with target sizes, uncertainties, and ranges.
Where can I get a copy of Merc?

I've spent the past couple days browsing forums on this very topic. Based off what I read 500-600 yards is going to be the max distance many would feel the 6.5 Creedmoor with the proper bullet can reliably take down a whitetail.

I just got a Tikka T3x in 6.5 with a Leupold Mark5 HD 3.6-18X44 scope. I am going to try 3 different factory loads: Federal Terminal Ascent 130 grain, Nosler Accubond Long Range 129 grain and Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X. All three are softer construction designed to expand at long range.

With the proper bullet for long range terminal performance, what do you folks think the max lethal range a 6.5 Creedmoor could be on whitetail?
Looking at my Hornady Reloading book. If you can launch the 143 Grain ELDX with a G1-BC of .623 @ 2725 FPS I would say max range for deer is 850 yards. Hornady says there ELD bullets need 1600 FPS to expand properly. So that's one of the important thangs to know the other is it takes 600 lbs of Kinetic energy to break I shoulder of a deer. So I would use that info. So if your 1100 ft above sea level you still have around 800 lb-ft and your 1600 FPS.

I've spoke with both hornady and Sierra techs about this issue at one time and both said same thing. The energy factor is a thing of the past and your looking at the minimum velocity the projectile will expand. So most are 1800 some are 1600. Me personally I'd error on the side of caution and use 2000 as the limiting factor for a long range shot from your creed as long as your proficient in shooting that distance. Spend some time at the range and get to know your new rifle. Best wishes

I understand bullet expansion and ft lbs of energy, I get it. I dont really base my range on that alone especially with smaller calibers (read 6.5 Creed and below). I base what I can shoot very accurately, some on the above but primarily on my proven hunting position accuracy and the game I am hunting. For deer for me I try my hardest to limit my shots to 400 yards. Can I shoot 500 yes can I reliably hit what I am aiming at from a hunting position most likely, but I know I can for sure at 400 with my 6.5 ceed or 257 wtby I am going to ethically harvest that game. For me it is a lot different shooting an elk with either the 340-338 Lapua or 338/378, with these rounds I have power for penetration, but does that matter if I shoot them thru the ***. The difference lies in the fact off a bench I can hit at 1K with my 22 Creedmoor. Would I shoot at deer at that range NOPE. If I were you I would base it on several factors not only bullet limitations.

The first criteria for max ethical range is "Will the bullet reliably open on impact?" Bullet manufacturers typically publish a minimum recommended impact velocity. Your ballistic calculator will tell you the range where this no longer happens for your rifle and load.

The second is "Can you hit the vital zone?" The MERC tables shown above help a lot to ferret that out. I personally lean toward keeping the range short enough that I don't have to worry about a 10 or 20 percent chance of missing the vital zone, so look more closely at the 90% and higher.

All of this is contingent on your bullet being heavy enough for its construction to create an adequate wound channel. This chart and tool are based on depth of penetration and width of cut. The criteria can be traced back to mesolithic archer-hunters and is valid even today with modern hunting bullets: Ideal Bullet Weight

I presume you mean 1000 ftlbs energy, and not actually 1000 fps velocity?

I have no doubt that 1000 ftlbs is more than enough to kill a deer (44 Mag at 50 yds has only 750 ftlbs), but getting reliable expansion from skinny, pointed, rifle bullets at low velocity is non-trivial. It also usually sacrifices performance at close range, as bullets that frangible or soft can really grenade with high speed impacts.

I personally wouldn't want to be hunting with "how low can I go" in mind, and never want to worry about "is my bullet too soft/hard" for the job, but to each their own.

For me, I want enough gun to put >2000 fps on target, along with fur to fur penetration with at least a thumb sized wound track, at whatever range I know I can make the shot.

My practical 2 cents

A 30 30 with a 150 grn rn softpoint is marginal on elk at further than 100 yards on a broadside shot, marginal on mule deer at 150 yards or further.

I want to hit a animal WITH MORE VELOCITY, AS MUCH OR MORE MASS AND MORE PENETRATION THAN THESE OVER 100 YEAR OLD STANDARDS!!!

PRACTICAL COMMON SENSE

Nu.bers are great

ACCURACY AND EXPERIENCE ARE FINAL...

JUST MY 2 CENTS...

Btw a 55, 69 and 77 grain .223 will do the job as well....

Just need the right bullet in the right place impacting faster than 2400fps

Or

A 1 ounce foster slug impacting at over 1000fps

More practical experience

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.