6.5 Creedmoor Ladder

Rich Coyle

A photo would be nice, but there is no "paper clip" on either my desk top computer or my daughter's lap top. So I will try to describe the results accurately. I loaded ten Hornady brass with Winchester WLRM primers because I have more of them than anything else. I started with 40.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter and increased each one with .5 grains more. Then a Nosler Accubond 140 was loaded .030" from the lands. I got that amount from Nosler. I fired the ladder at 200 yards. The "wind" was a very light breeze varying from nothing to maybe 1MPH. During the 1 1/2 hour shooting session the temperature went from 68* to 71*. I fired two shots and let the barrel cool.

First bullet hit about 8" low and 2" left of point of aim. Number two hit about 1/2" higher and directly under point of aim. Number 3 overlapped #2 on its top. Numbers 4,5,6 made a horizontal line 7/8" long 2"above #3. Numbers 7 & 8 were another 2" above them horizontally and about 1/2" apart. Number 9 was 1/2" above them 7/8" to the right. Number 10 was 5/8" above # 7. Numbers 7,8,9,10 made a "group" of 1 3/8".

There are three obvious nodes. The velocity smoothly increased from 2,502 feet per second to 2,754 feet per second.

After firing this I talked to Ramshot. According to tech the load can be increased 1 grain more. On Monday I will load 45.0, 45.5 and 46.0 on the same target.

After talking with Ramshot I discovered I could go up in powder charge, so I did. Today I fired shots #11, 12 &13. Again the velocity continued a smooth rise maxing at 2,844 feet per second. Number 11 hit lower than and between #8 & 9. Numbers 12 & 13 were horizontal and touching each other about 1" higher than #7 - 11. That looks like another node.

How does one post a photo without the "paper clip" at the top of the page?

There should be a button in the reply box to upload files. It will be near impossible to give good feedback on a ladder we can not see.

I can't imagine trying to extrapolate meaning out of single shots of each round configuration. I never fire less than 3 rounds / configuration, normally 4 to start. Otherwise the sample is just to small to consider valid. One shot is not a pattern.

I use five shots for each powder charge. Try H4350, IMR 4350, Superformance, or H4831. These are excellent powders for 6.5 Creedmoor.

I absolutely am against starting with 4-5 shots for load development. Start with three. You will see some loads are good and some will not be. Load up more of the good ones and go prove them. There is no reason to shoot 5 shot groups of loads that suck.

I absolutely am against starting with 4-5 shots for load development. Start with three. You will see some loads are good and some will not be. Load up more of the good ones and go prove them. There is no reason to shoot 5 shot groups of loads that suck.

So then, you don't shoot ladders, but fire groups?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 152
Yes, use upload a file...

I use a ladder as you are doing to find a sweet spot node then fine tune from there. Looks like you have a winner...

So then, you don't shoot ladders, but fire groups?

I prefer ladders. I usually shoot them at 600yds with two of each load spaced .3grains apart. You will see on paper, as well as the chrono, where the node is. At 600 yards I will usually see a .5moa group or better across three charges. I will then fine tune the middle of the node. The farther the better. It will start to show more vertical in the loads not in the node. If I do not have time or access to long range I will use OCW with 3 of each charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.