6.5 Creedmoor Barnes loading data

Salt Creek

I have been looking all over for reload data concerning the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have recently purchased a new Savage Model 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, topped the rifle with a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42. The only load data that I was unable to locate was concerning Barnes bullets. I finally was able to acquire some of the load data and thought I would post it for those that are interested. I called Barnes because I was having such a hard time finding any data and the last reloading manual they published was in 2008. This information is from Barnes and I have not shot these loads yet because I just called a few hours before posting this information. Also Ryan that I talked to at Barnes stated they are working on releasing another reloading manual in the new future. I only have data for two bullets, 120 TTSX and 127 LRX. Barnes states they just shot the Creedmoor in the last few weeks and have the information available to anyone that calls.

Barnes 120 TTSX C.O.A.L 2.700 24" barrel Federal 210 Hornady brass
H4350 starting load 35.8 @ 2520 fps
H4350 max load 42.5 @ 2870 fps
-
H414 starting load 36.5 @ 2509 fps
H414 max load @ 42.6 @ 2859 fps
-
RL-17 starting load 36.2 @ 2542 fps
RL-17 max load 41.6 @ 2892 fps

Barnes 127 gr LRX C.O.A.L 2.720 24" barrel Federal 210 Hornady brass
Hybrid 100v starting load 36.2 @ 2458
Hybrid 100v max load 41.8 @ 2808
-
H4350 starting load 33.7 @ 2388
H4350 max load 40.7 @ 2738
-
Superformance starting load 39.4 @ 2515
Superformance max load 45 @ 2865
-
RL-17 starting load 35.7 @ 2458
RL-17 max load 40.9 @ 2808

Hope this helps anyone that has been looking....

Thanks for the information, I just got my re-barreled 700 S/A in 6.5 creedmoor back 2 weeks ago and have been looking for the same information. When I spoke with Barnes they told me to use load data for the 130gr. Nosler Accubond for their 127 lrx as they were still in testing.

I loaded 140 gr Berger Hunting VLDs over 40.5 gr IMR4350 w/ CCI BR-2s .010 off the lands. This was the 6th load I tested shooting 5 shot groups. Of the loads this was the most accurate printing three 5 shot groups in the .3's. I'm still working on some other loads to test one being the 127 gr LRX over Superformace-both have been heck to get. I love the Bergers except for the following,

I was able to shoot a deer the day before yesterday right at the end of the day at 413 yards. The deer was broadside and I watched and heard the bullet hit the deer, she "mule kicked" and tore off into a clear cut. I waited an hour and began the recovery...I found the deer the following morning less than 75 yards from where I shot her and the bullet didn't exit. While the bullet had the desired result, a clean kill, the lack of an exit wound left ZERO bloodtrail. I do realize 413 yards has an effect on penetration, I am just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and if anyone has shot the 6.5 Barnes over 350 yards and the results.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
ZERO blood trail...

I was able to use my Creedmoor this rifle season for opening day. I ended up settling on the 120 TTSX from Barnes because they just shoot incredible out of my gun. I am not the best shot but these bullets make the perfect clover leaf. I was incredibly excited to see how they would perform. This is my first year using Barnes. So on to the hunt...

Opening morning I was able to harvest my largest buck to date.. I was hunting in Kentucky where the deer are just larger than in Tennessee where I usually hunt but had complete confidence in my Creedmoor.

At 626 am on opening morning I noticed the buck standing at the end of my shooting lane which is around 265 yards. He was crossing the lane so I just had to free hand the shot and thought I had missed. I did see him kick his back legs but he didn't not act hit in any other way. The buck turned and started right at me. I bolt and rushed my second shot bad as he was running at me straight on now about 200 yards. I bolted again and he got to the edge of the food plot right at 175 yards. Pulled the trigger and he fell to the ground like you had hit him in the head with a hammer.

My hunting partner came over and we decided that I had missed the first two shots. So we loaded him up and went back to the shop to start cutting him up and field dress him. It wasn't until I had capped him out that we noticed my first round went right through his pump station and my third shot did the same. I had made an X right through his vitals and there was no blood trail from first round to where he was laying. Both rounds went through and came out the same size as they went in, the exit hole was hard to find until I had his skin off... I now think the Barnes may just be to hard for whitetail. I almost lost the biggest deer of my hunting career.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.