6.5 Creedmoor and 95 Gr Vmax???

FCB1616

What would be the optimal barrel twist rate for this combination? Im wondering because i plan on building a long range/varmint rig for fun and wanted to give the 6.5's a try. I want a twist rate that Ill be able to shoot both light and heavier bullets. What would be best? Any help with this would be appreciated.

I had a 1 in 9 twist in my TC pro hunter. I never tried anything lighter than 120. It shot the 120 amax factory ammo great also liked the 129 sst. It shot the 130 bergers decent the 140 amax it would not stabilize. Just my experience I am building a rig now with a 1 in 8 which seems to be the go to.

Twist it for the heaviest bullets you'll use. If you plan on using long bullets like the 142 matchking or 140 bergers then you'll want it twisted 1:8. Most of the time they'll still shoot the lighter bullets OK, sometimes not. However, a slower twist is definitely not going to shoot the heavies OK and if it won't do that then it's useless as a long range rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts