6.5 creedmoor Ammo

I have yet to recover a bullet from my 6.5CM kills. Of course it has only been on Georgia White-tail, hogs, a couple coyotes, a few coons, a few crows...

Yea, I'm in same boat.. Have basically quit shooting the 300, 338, 308, 270, ECT..
90% of my trigger time is 6.5CM, 223/5.56, 22lr, 17HMR, 17WSM

I know you are new here and I'm no veteran of LRH myself but this statement shows that you have a lot to learn. Do some research on the 6.5 starting with hunting with the 6.5 Swede going forward to now and get back to us...in another thread. I'll give you a hint, it has to do with high BC Bullets and faster twist barrels to stabilize them along with mild recoil. That and the advancement of the caliber in various chambering in the target shooting realm. The 6.5 Jap was never remotely considered a precision rifle at any point in its history. Not trying to dump on you but dang it man!
Jfloyd--Did you not see any humor in my post. As stated, I have known about the 6.5 for many moons. It just seems to me that the cartridge(s) and bullet have taken over as the do-all round for everything from itty-bitty field mice to Alaskan moose. I am not dumping on the round, just amazed at how quickly it has become so popular. Wish I had thought of all the possibilities and built my own version of the 6.5. I understand all the reasons and more for the popularity of a flat, fast little bullet with little recoil, and I also know, first hand, that my old 6.5 jap was never going to hit a freight train at 1,000 meters. For the record, I am a left-handed shooter, and I shoot a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm magnum and I have reloaded every bullet that has EVER been fired through that rifle. I would have bought a larger caliber, but back when I bought this rifle, 7 mm mag was the largest caliber Remington offered in left-hand. I feel discriminated against. If I were buying a deer rifle nowadays, I would almost certainly buy some version of 6.5 chambered rifle. But dang it, man, I'm too old to start over.

Not at all! I'm glad you are enjoying your past time, and I wish many happy years pursuing your game. I do believe you need to educate yourself on the many variables as it relates to the performance of any cartridge you intend to hunt with. It's a very long stretch to compare one of the worse wartime rifles ever produced to today's hunting rifles and chamberings. The 6.5 is the most popular caliber in Europe and for a good reason and is the most chambered caliber in bolt guns here in the US. Your statement may have been saying I jest, which is fine, but if you really believe that, why did you buy that caliber? You will be very impressed with it, and I hunt with both the 6.5C and the 308 as well as the 30-06, among others. It's got something that works on deer, especially at the ranges you typically shoot. Good luck, and have fun!!
jfloyd, You are a bonified 6.5C shooter. I see you do not like old Japanese war rifles. I second that sentiment. When I was a mere bachelor, the 7mm was the most beloved caliber from across the pond. Ballistics at the time seemed to show that it was the flattest shooting caliber chambered in off the shelf rifles at the time. That was still debatable due to differing types and designs of the projectile itself, but--. The 308 cartridge was, back then, considered the most efficient cartridge design (capacity to power) of the day. I live in Texas where every male child that will ever amount to anything falls out of the womb holding a 30-06. I killed my first deer with a 30-06, and it is still one of the most well-liked calibers in North America, and possibly other places. However, like you, apparently, I go more for the exotic than the normal. I probably do not need as much education about the 6.5 as you suggested in your last post to me. When I started learning my way around the world of rifles, it would have taken several popular gun/rifle editors in several popular magazines harping on the greatness of a particular cartridge for it to even begin to come from a wildcat cartridge to a factory-made rifle and even then, most new cartridges did not make it to the popularity the 6.5 now claims. I do find it interesting to talk about such quirks of fate. It stirs my old, too thick blood to have a good discussion about a fine weapon such as the 6.5. So: to you and your love of a fine rifle and many more good conversations. We have many more guns to talk about.

Last edited:
georgiaoutlaw, If you zeroed at 50 yards (?), I'm not surprised that you couldn't make a 200 yard shot. If you don't mind a suggestion from a guy who has killed a whole bunch of deer at 200 yards (there was a deer trail 200 yards from my stand where I nixed a whole bunch of deer in the corner of the cut-over I used to hunt); I would suggest that you zero your 6.5 to shoot 1.5" high at 100 yards so that you could make a 200 yard shot. Or, more precisely, you could use a scope reticle with holdovers in the reticle. I use a MIL scope so that I can use the second stadia mark for 200 yard shots. Here's what I get at 200 yd with acubond bullets from ammo Inc cartridges using the second stadia of Mark on a mill scope. Of course I zeroed it at 200 yd to get that. This is not my best group at 200 yards with my 6.5 Creedmoor, but at least you can see that it is zeroed well enough at 200 to drop a deer. If you have a scope with crosshairs but no holdovers, you can just zero at 200, and you won't be so high at 100 that you can't still just hold dead on. But zeroing at 50 yards is for .22 Long Rifle. I know, I am the self-proclaimed best squirrel hunter in Arkansas. 🤣
IMG_20200925_204329958.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.