6.5 creedmoor Ammo

I must have been asleep. What in the world caused this fascination with 6.5mm bullets. Back in the early sixties, before JFK was killed, I bought an old 6.5 Jap surplus rifle of some kind from K-mart for $13.00. I bought two boxes of ammo, and it shot like a shotgun with a bent barrel. Gave it away. Never thought I would see that 6.5 mm become popular again. Stupid me, but I do not see how any caliber of any size could dominate the gun world as the 6.5 has done. With all the just barley smaller and just barely larger bullets out there, what is the mystic behind the 6.5? If I knew the answer to that question, I would create another bullet using the same criteria, put my own name on it, and become rich and famous. It is magical to me: the 6.4 or the 6.6 Treeslug. Sounds like a winner to me.

I must have been asleep. What in the world caused this fascination with 6.5mm bullets. Back in the early sixties, before JFK was killed, I bought an old 6.5 Jap surplus rifle of some kind from K-mart for $13.00. I bought two boxes of ammo, and it shot like a shotgun with a bent barrel. Gave it away. Never thought I would see that 6.5 mm become popular again. Stupid me, but I do not see how any caliber of any size could dominate the gun world as the 6.5 has done. With all the just barley smaller and just barely larger bullets out there, what is the mystic behind the 6.5? If I knew the answer to that question, I would create another bullet using the same criteria, put my own name on it, and become rich and famous. It is magical to me: the 6.4 or the 6.6 Treeslug. Sounds like a winner to me.
I know you are new here and I'm no veteran of LRH myself but this statement shows that you have a lot to learn. Do some research on the 6.5 starting with hunting with the 6.5 Swede going forward to now and get back to us...in another thread. I'll give you a hint, it has to do with high BC Bullets and faster twist barrels to stabilize them along with mild recoil. That and the advancement of the caliber in various chambering in the target shooting realm. The 6.5 Jap was never remotely considered a precision rifle at any point in its history. Not trying to dump on you but dang it man!

That's a pretty devastating Bullet how close to 6.5creed and 125gr winchester extreme point that's what I'll be shooting whitetails with in a few weeks
I know you are new here and I'm no veteran of LRH myself but this statement shows that you have a lot to learn. Do some research on the 6.5 starting with hunting with the 6.5 Swede going forward to now and get back to us...in another thread. I'll give you a hint, it has to do with high BC Bullets and faster twist barrels to stabilize them along with mild recoil. That and the advancement of the caliber in various chambering in the target shooting realm. The 6.5 Jap was never remotely considered a precision rifle at any point in its history. Not trying to dump on you but dang it man!
sir r u upset with me I'm not a precision shooter just a simple deer hunter that can shoot pretty well in the right times brand new to the 6.5 just happy to have it and the possibility of shooting one at 250 350yds without thinking to much into it leaving the 06 after 25 30yrs gone to 308 now the 6.5

6.5 will probably be the last rifle I buy for deer hunting killing my first several with a browning sweet 16 semi auto Belgian made assembled in portugul still have it in almost mint condition with ventilated rib on the barrel my grandad gave it to me wen my dad and uncle sawed off a 20gauge pump to short I could never hit spit with that gun and never missed with the browning got a browning safari 3006 that was hard to leave for the 08 but times do change right sir

sir r u upset with me I'm not a precision shooter just a simple deer hunter that can shoot pretty well in the right times brand new to the 6.5 just happy to have it and the possibility of shooting one at 250 350yds without thinking to much into it leaving the 06 after 25 30yrs gone to 308 now the 6.5
Not at all! I'm glad you are enjoying your past time and I wish many happy years pursuing your game. I do believe you need to educate yourself to the many variables as it relates to the performance of any cartridge you intend to hunt with. It's a very long stretch to compare one of the worse war time rifles ever produced to today's hunting rifles and chamberings. The 6.5 is the most popular caliber in Europe and for good reason and is the most chambered caliber in bolt guns here in the US. Your statement may have been said I jest which is fine but if your really believe that, why did you buy that caliber? You will be very impressed with it and I hunt with both the 6.5C and the 308 as well as the 30-06 among others. It's got something that just works on deer especially at the ranges you typically shoot. Good luck and have fun!!

Sir I'm not much on the research I just love to shoot guns at animals for food kinda hope ur tha same
Not at all! I'm glad you are enjoying your past time and I wish many happy years pursuing your game. I do believe you need to educate yourself to the many variables as it relates to the performance of any cartridge you intend to hunt with. It's a very long stretch to compare one of the worse war time rifles ever produced to today's hunting rifles and chamberings. The 6.5 is the most popular caliber in Europe and for good reason and is the most chambered caliber in bolt guns here in the US. Your statement may have been said I jest which is fine but if your really believe that, why did you buy that caliber? You will be very impressed with it and I hunt with both the 6.5C and the 308 as well as the 30-06 among others. It's got something that just works on deer especially at the ranges you typically shoot. Good luck and have fun!!
enjoy ur read and yes anything that puts venison in tha freezer is always gonna be great to me and ones around me happy hunting have a great season

Sir I'm not much on the research I just love to shoot guns at animals for food kinda hope ur tha same

enjoy ur read and yes anything that puts venison in tha freezer is always gonna be great to me and ones around me happy hunting have a great season
Good luck to you too! BTW I hunt in middle GA myself.

Will do sir u do the same never miss another

If you can find a box of the Sierra Game Changers 130gr.. Try them, providing you aren't reloading yet. I've taken 2 hogs with it in N. GA.. Seems to be a very good projectile. One through both shields, other was a neck shot that pulverized the spine and rear of skull.. Some meat loss on that one but the double shield was impressive.. Little meat lost, golf-ball sized exit

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.