6.5 creed with the 156 Berger load data

Hi All - new member and first post. I tried these under 41.0gr H4350 in a Creed - Proof 1:8 24". Promising results. 2.165 CBTO right at the length of my mag about 2.868 OAL. Starline LP brass. I was impressed.
Welcome to the forum 25 yard sniper from Tennessee and I like the name

Nice thing about the 156gr. EOL Berger's, you do not have to chase the lands, seat them where they feed through your mag and go to work.
These are a Hybrid VLD so to chase lands at least in my rifles is a waste of bullets and powders, maybe your mileage will be different?

Not the 156, but I've ran the 150 smk to 2875 fps with rl-26 out of my 26in. I think most rifles will land around 2800 with rl-26
We ran the 153.5 in the creed chronographed at 2900 fps using 43.4 4831sc with 3.020 5 shot group and will recheck chronograph numbers since it's new

Attachments

• 20211231_122957.jpg
    20211231_122957.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
Hit the range today for a OCW/Powder charge test and thought I'd offer my data to this great thread (***do not use in your own rifle, please work up to a safe load on your own***) :

N560
22" Barrel, seasoned Proof carbon, maybe 200 through it. All factory ELDX mostly.
-0.020 jump, comparator length was 2.248
Lapua SRP brass
CCI 450M
Griffin Explorr Suppressor

Only loaded up to 45.5 grains and did not see any pressure signs.
Velocity was 2674 average at 45.5.

Powder in steps of 0.5 started at 42.

Had a great limited vertical POI shift from 44.5 to 45.5, and 45 had a 10 ES and sub 5.8 SD, so going to continue with a seating depth test next at 45 grains.

I might also test some more at 46 to 46.5, just to see if there is a higher node.

Pretty happy with a 2620 starting velocity though out of a 22" pipe and good ES/SD.

Last edited:
Reading this has been very helpful. I have up in the closet a brand new box of those 156's that I pretty much thought I'll never use but I was keeping them on hand just in case. But looking at this with either RL26 or the standard H4350 if I can get 2700 to 2750 out of the creed then that makes for some serious longer range mule deer medicine. Heck running the numbers on the 153's with there BC they are really impressive. I have a 26 inch savage that mainly been in the closet most its life. I think I'll have to give it some working up now. Granted it shoots 130 Berger's shoot well but that will definitely reach out a lot father with that weight. Also Its got enough twist to do the job.

I got out the other day with my 6.5 and ran some 156 Berger's through it. Got a decent group at 39.5 grn of RL16 but was slow. 2620'ish. Next time out I'm going to try some RL26 and see what I come up with. If I can get 2700 or above that would be super but also want the groups to be good and consistent velocity. From the looks of some of the post 2700 should not be 2 hard to get with RL26. Probably use the Berger data listed.

I run the 153.5's in NRL Hunter at 2590 'ish with 41.2 grains of R23. It may be the most accurate shooting load I've ever used. We shot a full size elk target at 650 and, hitting off center, it swung that steel over 45 degrees. I couldn't believe how hard it hit.

I'll be headed out again possibly next week testing RL26 and the 156's and to reshoot some more groups with what I loaded previous. My bench was not staying as stable as I would like and I was consistently wobbling on the rear of my rifle. I know its an excuse but when the ground is a little wet and I get the legs to the bench burred a little its a lot more stable me and the gun can produce better groups. I also may just go to the actual range were they have solid benches and I can still run my chrono as well. My groups were running about an inch to about 0.8 inches and I have targets from this gun printing consistent half inch groups. Also the same day I had some Hornady loaded 143ELDX ammo that was producing less then 0.5 inch group. Probable the best and most consistent box of ammo I have seen to date from them. It was chronoing at 2668 to 2662fps for 10 shots. I wrote the numbers down on the box and its what I'd zeroed with. I may just use that box for hunting season. I have 10 left of them unless I get really good results from the 156's. I also have some loaded berger box ammo that is really consistent. I think I have the chrono numbers for them as well. They are 140VLD's.

I finally made it out again with the 156's and the RL26. I was seated at 2.820 OAL on my savage. Speed was really good at 2780 with my max charge being 46 grains/Starline new brass which seem to have a little pressure. Bolt lift was a little tighter but no ejector swipe. 45.7 was fine on bolt lift and speed was 2762 avg. Nothing produced Steller accuracy groups. One thing that was nice was at 45.7 I had an ES of 12 and SD of 4, I think that is what it was but it was single digit SD and was like 10 or 12ES. So maybe some seating depth work and a little more powder refining. I wanted to load to the mag length but I may have to single feed. Its a savage 12 I think, its not the axis its like the regular savage action but just a short action. It was a special run from Cabela's with a heavy bull barrel and a acura trigger. The stock is defiantly nothing to mention as its the cheap plastic. But the cool thing is with the velocity, I get 1664 at 1000yrds and about 950ftp of energy. I shot mule deer with a 243 at a lot less and put them in the dirt. So if I can get it grouping at 1/2 minute or less then it should be superb on Mulley's and antelope.

I think I figured out yesterday why some of my accuracy is not so stellar. I have a regular RCBS seating die and for some reason it won't seat the bullets consistently. I seen up to 8thou difference in seating. I think it's the tip is getting stuck in the stem a little or something to that effect. I took the die apart and pressed a bullet in it and it does get sticky and the bullet is not getting grabbed by the actual sided of the stem leaving much room for runout. Going to try and find a new stem today. Probably get a hornady die and A-tip stem. First red box on my shelf but if it works it works. Well thinking back I do have a set of Lee dies. Personally I prefer Readding dies.

I think I figured out yesterday why some of my accuracy is not so stellar. I have a regular RCBS seating die and for some reason it won't seat the bullets consistently. I seen up to 8thou difference in seating. I think it's the tip is getting stuck in the stem a little or something to that effect. I took the die apart and pressed a bullet in it and it does get sticky and the bullet is not getting grabbed by the actual sided of the stem leaving much room for runout. Going to try and find a new stem today. Probably get a hornady die and A-tip stem. First red box on my shelf but if it works it works. Well thinking back I do have a set of Lee dies. Personally I prefer Readding dies.
One other thing you can do if you can't find a correct stem, is get some lapping compound in the stem and chuck the stem up in a drill press and run it down on a bullet to shape it better. You will sacrifice a bullet or two, but just an option if your not able to find the right stem. Hopefully you can just get the correct tool and not have to modify ha ha.