6.5 Creed Reamer

Crowe284

Having a new 6.5 CM built. Haven't talked to smith yet, but I know he chambers with two different reamers.....170 FB and the SAMMI .199 FB

I will be shooting the hornady 143 eldx

In my searching on the web, I have deduced that the .170 FB reamer is being used for Berger and Sierras with shorter bearing surface and the .199 is being used with the hornady bullets.

Does this sound right to everyone?

Yes the saami reamer works great for the eld line of bullets. Everyone I e chambered with it shoots itty bitty groups with the factory ammo from hornady

Having a new 6.5 CM built. Haven't talked to smith yet, but I know he chambers with two different reamers.....170 FB and the SAMMI .199 FB

I will be shooting the hornady 143 eldx

In my searching on the web, I have deduced that the .170 FB reamer is being used for Berger and Sierras with shorter bearing surface and the .199 is being used with the hornady bullets.

Does this sound right to everyone?
It depends on if you wanna get to the lands and your mag. box length.

It depends on if you wanna get to the lands and your mag. box length.

Hmmmmmmm.....I have a had a couple of factory Creedmoors and have loaded for a few others including a couple of customs and have never had a problem fitting the mag box...After load development with the 143 they have all liked to shoot at between 2.800 and 2.830. My current load for a rifle I just sold was 2.806 COAL and 2.166 CBTO and was a solid 1/4 minute rifle. Also, many prople report excellent accuracy with hornady factory ammo shot out of factory rifles with SAMMI chambers....I'm just making points about facts and am certainly open to good advice!

The sammi reamer has a freebore of .199, using the 143 eld x, at what COAL would it touch? I have seen others figure these dimensions, I just am not sure how.

I'm not to familiar with the 143 hornady coal. Berger 130's will be 2.86 and not to the lands with a .199 freebore and 140's if I remember correctly will be in the neighborhood of .293. Factory ammo is gonna be less than .285 to fit factory mag box lengths. Personally I don't like being hindered by mag. Box lengths or stuffing bullets in cases to chew up case capacity. Not saying they won't shoot I just like options and being able to have bullet and powder combinations. Some guns shoot some bullets better than others.

If I do go with the sammi .199 freebore reamer with the 143 eld x and run into mag length issues, I can always run the alpha type 2 or ARC mags that allow for a an OAL of 2.965". Can't see needing anymore than that or even close with my experience with the old a max and the 143 eld x....

Did some digging and found an old post from a member here (Edd) that stated that "On a SAMMI chamber a 143 eld x bullet makes land contact at an OAL length of 2.901".

Factory ammo is about 2.810"

The sammi reamer has a freebore of .199, using the 143 eld x, at what COAL would it touch? I have seen others figure these dimensions, I just am not sure how.

About 2.900", the Hornady factory 143 gr eld-x ammo has a COAL of about 2.805" and has about .090" jump to the lands.

I just found out that masterpiece arms uses .170" freebore on the rifles they chamber to shoot hornady factory ammo. They guarantee their rifles to do 1/2" minute as well....Hmmmm

I bought a JGS .199" SAAMI reamer, it has cut 1 chamber. If I ever buy another one, I am going to have them make it with .250" freebore.

So, that would mean that a loaded round at approx 2.810 would jump about .090" in a .199 freebore chamber and the same round would jump about .060 in a .170 freebore chamber.

Edd, why would you prefer the longer freebore?

Edd, why would you prefer the longer freebore?

Because it would be a better fit with my favorite bullets.

I also don't think an extra .050" jump would have a negative effect when using the factory 143 ELD-X ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.