6.5 Creed no penetration

I have a 257 Roberts and a 25-06 in my safe. Both have taken many deer and a few elk over the years. The kids grew up using the 257 Rob. The main reason we chose the creed 3 years ago was one of convenience. With copper bullet requirements there was zero ammunition available on the shelves for the 257 Rob and few for the 25-06. But there was boatloads of Creed. With the shortage of powder, primers etc I just thought hey let's get the most vanilla thing out there and shoot that. So, I bought a 308 and son got the.Creed.. Daughter still shoots her 7mm-08. Now circle back 3 years later and I'm handloading for both the 6.5 and 308. There's no ammo on the shelves at all and we can't mail order ammunition in California. If you don't handload, you can't shoot here anymore. It's horrible here.

You're overthinking this. The .260 is basically the same round and we've used it on tons of deer with great effectiveness with Barnes. But, if we don't have a good shot, we pass. One big buck oddly went a couple of hundred yards with perfect shot placement, but that happens once in a while. I do commend you on following up though. The "TV show" method of coming back the next day means meat surely wasted as you so aptly pointed out.

Yeah Flyguy I'm used to hunting 90 degree weather as California A zone archery starts in July and rifle season is August and September. If we don't find a buck in 2 to 3 hours it's bloated up and soured. I usually use a Jack Russell terrier on cripples but this was not a scenario I would send my dog in anyways. Not sure what I'm over thinking? Bad shot placement with any bullets = lost deer. The only thing I'm looking for is the best non lead bullet I can shoot. So good hit or bad hit that bullet does damage. Makes a wound channel and passes through as much tissue as possible, destroying blood vessels and causing hemorrhaging. That's all I'm asking for. I feel the Hammer Hunter bullet is going to do that for me, so that's what I'm shooting at game animals for now on. I've lost one deer in 35 years of hunting so I don't want that number moving up. I really was surprised that buck was back out in the alfalfa eating breakfast two days later so I had to share. Thanks for commenting. đź‘Ť

Barnes TTSX out of a creedmoor @100 yards. Decent shot but did very little damage to the Axis

Attachments

• 20201015_140053.jpg
    20201015_140053.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
Wow! That's not good.
Wonder if the LRX will open up any better when. Bone is not hit.
That's a great question. What solid bullet should we use, and at what weight? I spoke with a Barnes Tech and he told me that in the 7mm (I shoot 7mm WSM) the TTSX opens up at 1500 fps, so in his opinion there was no need for the LRX in the particular case of 7mm and 150 grain. I guess other combinations open at higher fps. But in a case such as this, gut shot, would have the LRX been better?

That's a great question. What solid bullet should we use, and at what weight? I spoke with a Barnes Tech and he told me that in the 7mm (I shoot 7mm WSM) the TTSX opens up at 1500 fps, so in his opinion there was no need for the LRX in the particular case of 7mm and 150 grain. I guess other combinations open at higher fps. But in a case such as this, gut shot, would have the LRX been better?
Barnes states the TTX and LRX are of same construction. The TTX I posted had an impact velocity probably around 2500 fps. I wont use them again. Just think if the deer was at 300+. I would look at the Hammer Hunters

I also think what the reps say is opening up isn't what I consider curled and mushroomed back to the depth of the drilled out tip. I know 1600 fps is way low... I always try to stay at 1900 for lead free monos. I'm sure the TTSX tip would initiate expansion a little better. All the same, I'm going to Hammer Bullets. 🔨

Well I just quite the ELDX do to being too explosive on the animals I have hit at 100yrds or under and have just worked up a load for the LRX 127 gr for my creed so with any luck here soon I will be able to have a report back!
This is my first (and best) 5 shot group with the new LRX load. All were 1" or less at 100yrd out of my Kimber Mtn accent.
Who says you can't shoot little groups with light wt. Rifles?!! :)
20200509_151220~2.jpg

I started using Barnes bullets because my butcher put the bullets she found in a plate on the counter. Every Barnes looked exactly like the advertisements. That said, I believe some are a little light for elk. I've found that for a good exit wound, you want a Sectional Density of around .280. Shooting through a deer's gut is a little like shooting through an elk. The 127 gr.LRX in 6.5 has an SD of .260. Not terrible, but not optimal. Barnes claims their bullets expand down to 1600 fps. After reading about the Hammer bullets, I'd be inclined to try them. I'd go as heavy as your rifle twist will stabilize.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.