6.5 Creed no penetration

Unless recoil is a problem why wouldn't you use something in a larger caliber? You mentioned a 7mm.
He had good confidence in that 6.5 having killed his last 3 bucks with it, so we went with it. No doubt he makes a good shot and that buck would be dead. But we will be practicing more with the 7 mag. I want that assurance or a bit more horsepower as my mindset is 2 holes in a boat sinks faster than one. We shoot 145 LRX's at 3100+ so I'm positive that would have passed through.

I get 2000 fps impact velocity at 325yds using the .365 g1 BC that the mentioned federal TSX uses, which is the old model 130gr bullet, not the new boat tail one. I would reload the Hammer 110 HH or the new 109 AH and get over 3000 fps for sure!
I'm sorry, but I would make a concerted effort to vote out of office all the ill-informed people that do not allow the use of lead in rifle bullets. Messing with our ammunition is just one more way to inact GUN CONTROL.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I would make a concerted effort to vote out of office all the ill-informed people that do not allow the use of lead in rifle bullets. Messing with our ammunition is just one more way to inact GUN CONTROL.
I am surprised that lithium batteries are not banned in California.

Straws are, lead bullets, common sense and anything pro Trump. But if you're a homeless, dope smoking, pedophile that lights fires and sh#ts in the streets. You're a law abiding citizen.
Raudy707: I would just give you a "Like" except that I can see that you and I think alike. Therefore, I will agree with you wholly. I do not want to start a political thing on this forum, but Californians deserve a few breaks from their elected government. And a few other places, too.

Careful using the Eldx at close range, too explosive in my experience. NO Penetration if hit heavy bone even on smallish deer.
I think the LRX would have performed better in that scenario and is what I am now using in the Creed. In hopes of an all around better bullet.
As far as the Creedmoor, no it is not magical but is a fine caliber.
This is a Bull my Sons best friend killed yesterday.
One shot from 517yrds.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(14).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(14).jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 114
Last week while mule deer hunting in CA my son shot a nice sized mule deer buck with his 6.5 Creed at 327 yards. It was quartering to us and he made a bad shot hitting it square in the guts. A solid drum thwap and the deer jumped and walked over the hill. It's California so we are shooting all copper bullets. His rifle shoots Federal 130 gain Barnes TSX factory ammo very well so that's what he was using. We sneak up after a 30 min cooling off period because I felt it would need a follow up shot. As we sneak up the deer is bedded, jumps up and runs off zig zagging throught the junipers. The next time we see him is 500 yds away for a second as he continued walking into the juniper cover. Three of us comb the area for 3 hours. We find his tracks and I followed them for 1200 yds before losing them in a lava field. Not a single drop of blood. A few hairs at the shot impact on the ground and nothing else. Fast foward 2 days later. Still looking for the buck. We find what we think is him in an alfalfa field and wait for him to move on to the public. My son kills the buck with neck shoulder shot. Upon inspection we find a 6.5 cal hole in the middle of him so I field dress the deer. The bullet enter the main stomach with small hole and never exited. The deer was fine. No rupture of the stomach or internal bleeding. No pass thru. Bullet was just somewhere in a mass of alfalfa?? Has anyone ever had this happen? Poor shot placement for sure but really has me questioning my Creed. Maybe I should have taken the 7 mag. All ended well but it would have no matter what because the buck was alive and eating when we located him again. Dangdest thing I've ever seen in 35 years of hunting. Ruger American Predator with 22" barrel. Velocity is 2790 at the muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.