6.5 creed for prairie dogs?

My 223's are my main prairie dog guns but I've used everything from my 338 Lapua to my 9mm auto on prairie dogs. Their is no wrong choice. Take the gun that you want to get better with shooting in field conditions. Shooting prairie dogs is excellent practice for learning you limits under field conditions. Shooting 300+ yards at a prairie dogs has humbled me many times.

I'm limited to two rifles for my prairie dog trip. Don't ask why.
so the tikka varmint 223 is coming along with its favorite Fiocchi 50 vmax Ammo. About 1,000 rounds for 2 days.
I have to decide on rifle 2
22 Creedmoor with 300 rounds of 75 ELDM or
6.5 Creedmoor with 400 + rounds of 120 scenar. Also have 135 classic hunter.

is the 6.5 too much gun?
Nope you will have a blast this is my 3rd year. 22 Hornet, 6.5 Grendel and 7-08. I am building a 243Ackley Improved 1-7.5 twist. I gave my 243 to a friend last year for the hunt. Afterward he had it built into a 242 Super Match 1-8 twist. We've shot it out to 1200 yds. Take plenty of water and enjoy. Hunting out of Seligman, Arizona our club is staying at the The Stagecoach Inn 66. 6/30 - 7/3. Your welcome to join us if your in the area. San Diego County Varmint Callers.

Grab a 95 grain V max and pop those dogs in the air! It should be a riot, my buddy shoots them with his creed but he uses a 140 ELDM and it's not as fun as a varmint bullet. I use a 243 AI with a 87 grain vmax, it's a lot of fun

No such thing as to much gun, I run a 338 lapua with 285s usually. Don't got to shoot that good and u still get them!

Bring the 6.5 and use it for long shots - like past 350 or so out to however far you have enough ammo for and a spotter. Don't forget a chair, table, mats, tarps, cooler full of drinks, perhaps some shade and sun screen, hearing protection, range finder(s), binos and a spotting scope. But that's just me over-packing with a Swift, .243 and 6.5 CM.

We were over near Raton NM on the 16th and 17th shooting Turf Poodles, what a blast. Very windy, longest hit for me was 356 yds with a 40X 6PPC. It was too windy for the 223 or lighter.

Favorite shot was at 150 yards. Spotted this little guy near a berm running around. Got my spotter on him and told him this was going to be an easy head shot as he was broad side to me. Was about to touch it off when he turned away from me, took a couple steps, and stopped. His head was down, butt up with his tail in the air.

I couldn't resist :eek: Hit him dead center in his butt hole with a 70 gr Blitz out of my PPC, spectacular! The last thing that went thru his mind was his...... (well you know the rest of the story).

Regarding the 70gr Sierra Blitz Kings, I recently found they shoot really good out of an old BR take off barrel! A barrel that is no longer BR competitive will shoot 1/4 minute of PD all day long. If you know anyone that shoots BR seriously, they always have a few take offs laying around that you can get cheap or even for nothing.

While shooting PDS near Idalou Tx l picked up a couple 6MM Creedmoor spent cases... That was a new ctg to me... l bet its a real PD Smoker too. Recoil would likely be a bit much tho. l shoot PDS to see them BLOW UP o_O

Grab a 95 grain V max and pop those dogs in the air! It should be a riot, my buddy shoots them with his creed but he uses a 140 ELDM and it's not as fun as a varmint bullet. I use a 243 AI with a 87 grain vmax, it's a lot of fun
I have a 243AI shoot the same bullet and it's a great setup. My grandson will be shooting it this year. Also building another one in left hand with 1-7.5 twist. Pictures to follow in the near future

rewiltshire, I agree you should never bring FMJ bullets to shoot PDs . However, I have, myself, heard the "zing" of a ricochet several times when even the hpt and tipped bullets hit at a low angle and miss the PD. Always be sure of what's beyond the target.
As for what to take; last year I used one rifle for two days of the 4 days we were there. It was a 17 WSM ! I hit them hard at 300+. Not every time, but a hit was a kill. This next year I will take it, a 6 Creedmoor (that I whacked one at a tad over 700 last year), a .22 rimfire, and a 20 PPC. At least those. I have 4 (getting the 5th built!) rifles in 6 Creedmoor. To say I love that round is a big understatement! Accurate, very easy to reload and factory Black both are stupidly accurate. Did I say both factory and reloads are accurate? I think I did.;)
Low recoil, 3000fps with 105s or 108s. Flat trajectories. Blow up -red mist PDs.

What velocities are sufficient for 6.5 123 ELDM to create red mist? >2800 FPS? Lower?

My understanding is that due to optimization for Grendel velocities, the 123s are rather frangible at 6.5 CM speeds (in a good way for varminting).

Your Tikka .223 Varmint will be good out to 400 yards with 10-15mph wind. I have one along with a Tikka 22-250 Varmint. I'd suggest the 6.5 CM for shooting beyond 400 yards. A 6 CM is another good caliber. I have both and take them on PD hunts. It can be a lot of fun shooting out to 1000yds and beyond

Attachments

• F504CBD6-D501-4BFC-BFD7-61ED4D134766.jpeg
    F504CBD6-D501-4BFC-BFD7-61ED4D134766.jpeg
    906.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 66D99F40-F5C6-41EA-B1DF-7CEE73F76AFC.jpeg
    66D99F40-F5C6-41EA-B1DF-7CEE73F76AFC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 271
I agree with davidu, the 6 Creedmoor is great at long range, up around a 1000. I take mine to PD shootin for the longer shots. If you take a 22/250, bring along a couple other rifles to give it a break. I love the 17 WSM for 300ish and shorter. Most of your shots will be at or under 300 if for no other reason: the winds.
One more detail about zeroing rifles. At home, I'm in Va., if I zero at 100, it is a tad high out there and flat out to almost 300! Elevation and air density is why. Helps making those long shots. 😁