6.5 CM or .243

the blur

I own both. Browning's X-bolt 6.5CM and a BAR .243

I'm doing Wyoming Antelope.

In a perfect world, which shoots flatter ?

Heavy bullets in the CM will deliver 30~35% more energy on target at 500~600 yards too. Depending on bullet selection of course. But accuracy counts on antelope also. Definitely have to consider which rifle shoots better too.

243 will be flatter. Wind drift will be in the 6.5s favor as there are better options in the hunting bullet category for the 6.5. 6.5 will have more energy. I believe the 6.5 will be better all around for hunting. We've shot quite a few whitetails with 6.5s and they're killers. A well placed round from either will do the job though and the antelope wouldnt know the difference. I just prefer to hunt with a bigger bullet than a 243 has to offer.

Take them both with you!
^ This. I am taking 3 rifles on my NM antelope hunt.
6.5SS @ 10lbs 2oz (primary)
.280AI @ 8lbs 13oz (long hiking rifle)
7RM @ 9lbs 12oz (backup)
Might swap my 15# 6.5SLR for a backup w. The 7RM.
If my 6CM was built and ready, that would be my backup for sure.

243 will be flatter. Wind drift will be in the 6.5s favor as there are better options in the hunting bullet category for the 6.5. 6.5 will have more energy. I believe the 6.5 will be better all around for hunting. We've shot quite a few whitetails with 6.5s and they're killers. A well placed round from either will do the job though and the antelope wouldnt know the difference. I just prefer to hunt with a bigger bullet than a 243 has to offer.

I can't disagree. When I'm hunting antelope, my go-to rifle is a 243AI. Antelope are small, not hard to take down, and live in areas where they are not hard to recover even if they travel a bit. I have never found myself wanting with this rifle, taking antelope out to 500 yards.

Yes, larger calibers fight the wind better. Typically I deal with the wind by my approach. Yes, a 6.5 is better, but a 300WM is even better than that. Like I said antelope are small, and the bigger you go the more meat damage you risk. I did once use a 300WM to fight the wind, it worked, and I had less to eat as well.

I own both a 243 AI and 6.5 creed. They both shoot fantastic. I think if it was me I would end up with my 6.5 creed on an antelope hunt. Simply the creed shoots a bigger bullet and recoil is still way mild. That's just my opinion.

I can't disagree. When I'm hunting antelope, my go-to rifle is a 243AI. Antelope are small, not hard to take down, and live in areas where they are not hard to recover even if they travel a bit. I have never found myself wanting with this rifle, taking antelope out to 500 yards.

Yes, larger calibers fight the wind better. Typically I deal with the wind by my approach. Yes, a 6.5 is better, but a 300WM is even better than that. Like I said antelope are small, and the bigger you go the more meat damage you risk. I did once use a 300WM to fight the wind, it worked, and I had less to eat as well.
Like I said, I doubt they'd know the difference. Both rounds will easily get the job done. It just boils down to personal preference. I've never hunted antelope. I just figure they're roughly the size of a whitetail so similar results would likely occur between the 2. Shot and seen deer shot with both. I just prefer the 6.5. Cheers!

FF676CB9-BACC-4BDF-A8DB-7A3FE9A11540.png
Plenty of energy with the 115's in 243 if you can stabilize them

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.