6.5 CM Large or Small Primers brass

motrapper

Is there really any real world difference. I am just starting to reload the 6.5 CM for my brothers kids and want to start out right.
All opinions appreciated

If nothing else, small primer pockets seem to last longer. In my case I have more small rifle primers than large. Easier to just stock one type. Testing by Lapua says the small with a smaller flash hole is better, but either can be made to shoot very well. Go with whatever you can find.

Is there really any real world difference. I am just starting to reload the 6.5 CM for my brothers kids and want to start out right.
All opinions appreciated
I have read accounts by folks I trust that said they had issues with SRPs producing misfires in cold weather conditions In Creedmoor sized cases. I don't want to take that chance so I opted for Alpha Munitions LRP brass for my Creedmoors. Their brass is very high quality and primer pocket life has not been an issue for me even with some very stout loads.

John

I have shot from -40 to plus 100 degrees with my 6.5 creed, large rifle primer combo, and I have not had a single issue. I have been using H4350, and a mix of CCI and federal primers. For me, with Hornady brass I am getting smaller SD from the CCI primers. Additionally I am seeing around 12-15 reloads on the Hornady brass before the pocket starts to loosen up.

For the application of hunting and PRS the large rifle primes have worked well for me. I understand everyone does have different experiences however.

The only "difference", in my use of large or small primer 6.5 Creedmoor brass is that, I use Peterson small primer for high pressure hunt loads, using the Berger 156 EOL. I'l use the large primer Hornady case for, 140 grain bullets and lighter, loads.

I discovered (by breaking a pin) that some LRP decapping pins will not fit through the SRP flash hole. If you go this route, make sure you have a SRP decapping pin. Otherwise, not a lot of difference between SRPs and LRPs.

I discovered (by breaking a pin) that some LRP decapping pins will not fit through the SRP flash hole. If you go this route, make sure you have a SRP decapping pin. Otherwise, not a lot of difference between SRPs and LRPs.
I busted a srp pin yesterday, adapted a wire brad (nail) to the .223 die, back in business.
FWIW… be gentle until the new one comes in

Lapua small primer flash hole size is spec'ed at 1.5mm which is .059". This may be smaller than a normal small decapping pin. A normal decapping pin may enlarge or stick in the Lapua flash hole. I turned down the end of the decapping pin in a universal decapping die to .057" for use with the appropriate Lapua brass.

One rule in loading - Spare decap RODS & PINS. They go when you least expecting it and Holidays !! I get mine in 50 packs, always have an extra for all the die mfg. RCBS- REDDING - HORNADY - LYMAN and a few others, from 17's to the 50 BMG pins. Never had a shotgun pin go on me- thanks for that ! At one time had problems with the PPC brass / pin holes !