6.5 CM bullet

Flare

My daughter her first ever deer this past weekend using our 6.5 CM with 143 ELDX going 2723 at the muzzle Shot was between225-250 yards down hill, not super steep or anything Bullet did something weird
It looks like it hit the bottom of the rib cage, throwing bone chips into the vitals and travel around and shattered the offside leg and exited leaving a fist size hole We had to track her down and finish her off

I believe my daughter shot low because the rifle is sighted in at 200 plus the slight down hill

I'm not complaining I've just not seen anything like this and I'm curios as to what everyone else is using and your results

Corey

I believe what ever 6.5 you shoot a Barnes 100gr TTSX or a Nosler 100gr Partition will take the biggest deer out there. Have been taking mature muley's for years with these 100gr bullets or at max the Sierra 120gr. On my own range these bullets do fine this side of 500yds. "Light recoil." Give one a try & see for your self . The 270 shooters are learning the Barnes 110gr is a deer stomp-er.

I have not had great luck with that bullet and quit them last year. They shoot well but I had poor performance with them on average. Went to NAB

In my Win 70 EW 264mag 26" Bbl 1/9 twist I drive the Nosler 140gr AB to 3222 fps . It puts them into tiny groups. Have my own range & can smack my 522yd target every time. Perhaps velocity could have something to do with accuracy?

I shoot a 140 gr SST out of a 260 rem. My load is very similar to what your daughter is using. Soft lead bullets can give very inconsistent results. Deflection, fragmentation, and inconsistent expansion are common. Higher velocities seem to increase inconsistencies. If you switch to a bonded or more solid bullet, you'll see more consistent results. I shoot barnes out of my 30/06 and consider them to be almost the perfect hunting bullet. But with the Barnes, and other bonded bullets, you just have to make sure you have enough velocity at impact to cause expansion. I shoot the SST out of the 260 because they are very accurate, and I still have them on my bench. I'm really wanting to switch to the LR AccuBond, but can't find them. Shot placement is critical. But so is using a good bullet. If she would of placed her shot right in the 10 ring, you'd probably be bragging about the load.

Thank you that's what I was wondering I've used accubond son other rifles and live them Just not sure how far out they will open I'm a 6.5

Corey

I believe on an AccuBond you need 1800 FPS. The LR AccuBond is supposed to be good down to 1300 FPS. If I remember right, the Barnes tech told me the TTSX is good down to 1600 FPS, but the expansion was minimal that slow. You could use Hornady's ballistic calculators to figure out your range.

I've used the 143 and 147 when I first got my 6.5 creed. They worked pretty good. Then I switched to the 124 hammer hunters and have loved them nothing has gone very far and I'm not afraid to hit bone.

My daughter her first ever deer this past weekend using our 6.5 CM with 143 ELDX going 2723 at the muzzle Shot was between225-250 yards down hill, not super steep or anything Bullet did something weird
It looks like it hit the bottom of the rib cage, throwing bone chips into the vitals and travel around and shattered the offside leg and exited leaving a fist size hole We had to track her down and finish her off

I believe my daughter shot low because the rifle is sighted in at 200 plus the slight down hill

I'm not complaining I've just not seen anything like this and I'm curios as to what everyone else is using and your results

Corey
Do you think it could have been a ricochet? Bullet might have hit low and bounced up off the ground through the bottom of the lower rib cage and then broke the leg. Have seen bullets bounce off the ground when shooting milk jugs at long range with interesting results.

Shooting downhill, the bullet may have entered very low in the ribcage. Then hit the inside of the breastbone/brisket/sternum. That may have deflected the bullet up to the offside shoulder. Just a guess based on the info provided.

I love the ELD-X line and have used it in .308 win, 300RUM, and 6.5CM

Have witnessed/made 7 1 shot DRT kills with it from 25-664 yards on deer and moose.

Both the 25 yard shot and the 664 yard shot were on moose.

Interesting the way the bullet traveled, i agree with revolting peasant in his assessment of how it traveled

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.