6.5 CM Accubonds or ELD-X

I personally wouldn't use a 6.5 Creed on a moose unless it was the only rifle I had and couldn't borrow something larger caliber . I know it would get the job done with shooter doing his part, correct bullet and distance . Like most here I would go with a Barnes 130 ttsx, accubond , partition or Hornady interbond. I wish Barnes made a 140 ttsx . I've never used hammers but that might be the answer? I have to get some. I've used eldx on 3 deer. DRT. I wouldn't use it on elk or moose. But then again I'd be using a big 30 cal. like my rum or win. mag. Have fun and good luck on your hunt no matter what !

I love my 6.5 CM. Tikka hunter. 1 MOA.
I'm gonna go for Moose.
Both 140's.
It's either the Hornaday ELD-X, or the Nosler Accubond.

I have heard of ELD-X failures surfing around, but Nosler ammo is not a popular.

Any comments.
ive used accubond to kill moose and elk in 180 grain from my 300 wsm and both dropped ! ive also used 7mm rm and 7mm stw to take moose with 160 and 175 grain noslers !

The Swedes and Finns do like the 6.5x55 in the Mauser for moose wth the 160 RN. The Swedish Mauser has a 1-7.5 twist barrel (in mm) and it will stabilize a 160gr RN Hornady as will a 9 or 8 twist. An 8 twist will stabalize the copper 140 spire points. Me and the Barnes' folks had a discussion about this very thing at the Shot Show a few years ago. They advised using a 130 Barnes in a 9 twist 6.5x06, a bit light weight for an elk and most probably too light for a moose but close enough to the length of a lead core 140.
Ed

Hopefully all you guys saying a 6.5 creedmoor isn't enough for moose have actually hunted and killed moose before.

I was thinking the same thing....

Seems like 1700 plus Swedes didn't have any issue using the 6.5 x 55 at 100 to 200 ft/sec slower factory loaded ammo than the Creedmoor with the same weight bullet killing moose. Looked like the .375 H&H magnum did knock them down a little quicker but only 275 moose were killed with a .375 H&H. And the 6.5 was actually second choice to the the .30-06 with 1900 plus killed. The .308 was third choice with 943 moose killed.

Maybe those saying it isn't enough gun should be telling the Swedes this.

I love my 6.5 CM. Tikka hunter. 1 MOA.
I'm gonna go for Moose.
Both 140's.
It's either the Hornaday ELD-X, or the Nosler Accubond.

I have heard of ELD-X failures surfing around, but Nosler ammo is not a popular.

Any comments.
Nosler or Hornady SST behind the shoulder. Up close I have had the eldx splatter on a rib both in the creed and 6.5x284. Wife prefers nosler I prefer SST

djm nice post. I have read that study and your right in the end it doesnt matter what caliber you use. I use a Swede with 155 Lapua Megas and it is to much gun for deer as it tears the sh^^ out of them out to 300 yards. I shot a whitetail from end to end at 146y with that load.
Unfortunately your post will be largely ignored by most.

cheers

My son shoots the accubonds from his 260 rem . They will flat poke a good sized hole through whitetail deer . He's only had one move more than just a few yards after the shot.

I in my way of thinking would not use it on moose. I understand that the Swedes use this caliber on a consistent basis, but my question on that would be is it because that's whats best or is that just what they've got? Kinda of well this is what we have and make it work.

A very good friend of mine and an excellent woodsman and hunter only has one rifle he's killed every thing except the great bears with it and I'd bet money that given the opportunity he'd make the mighty 270 work .

The undeniable fact is, that moose are a thick skinned, big boned, heavy animals. Much more so than an elk. There is no doubt that a 6.5 creedmoor will kill an elk or moose, with a well placed shot. But it is not an ideal caliber. A 22 mag will drop one too, if you shoot it in the neck. But is doesn't mean you should hunt with one. I have personally seen people loose elk due to shoulder shots that did not penetrate. We have recovered bulls that needed 2 shots because the first did not make it through the shoulder. Those of us that are trying to steer the OP away from the 6.5 creedmoor, are simply doing so to help him not make a mistake that could cost him a hunt. So while yes you can kill a moose with a 6.5 creedmoor, I am strongly suggesting that you pick a better suited caliber. You are spending a lot of money on this I'm sure. I've looked into moose hunts myself, and know how much they can cost. I personally would NOT go on such a hunt with a 6.5 creedmoor. Black tail hunt? YES. Coues deer hunt? YES. Mule deer hunt? YES. Elk or moose? NOPE. The 6.5 creedmoor is a proven accurate cartridge that has it's place. Use the right tool for the job. This is not a jab at the creedmoor, it's just honest, GOOD information.

Me & mine have been using the 6.5's with the Barnes mono's ever since they came out About 1990 or so. 6.5x308 wildcat, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 . We take elk every year using the Barnes 120gr TSX. Never failed us, never recovered a bullet. No matter what angle , thru thick muscle & bone. The Scandinavians have been using the 6.5x55 successfully on Moose since 1893. It comes down to a tough deep penetrating bullet properly placed. Also have taken truck loads of mature muley's with the 6.5's & the Sierra 120gr. I have shot the Hornady 6.5 160 gr thru my 1/8 twist rifles with excellent accuracy. I believe you will find the Barnes 130gr TSX will out penetrate the Hornady 160gr or the two bullets you asked about.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.