6.5 cartridge selection

harleybug

So i have a 30-06 sitting in the safe and im wanting to rebarrel it and change the caliber. I was thinking of doing a 6.5-06. Does anyone have any info on this round and what kind of mv are u getting and acuraccy. Also is there any other 6.5 cartridges that work in a standard long action.

A 6.5-06 is the logical choice. If you don't mind using Nosler cases, another one that would be almost as easy and a little more glamorous is a 6.5-280 AI.

I would prefer to stay away from an Ai im not an expert reloader so i would rather stick with just resizing cases.

The reamer and dies won't be as available but once you have them, sizing a 280 AI case to a 6.5 mm would be easier than sizing a 30-06 case to a 6.5 mm.

If you have an issue with an AI, it will be feeding from the magazine. A good Gunsmith should be able to keep that from being an issue.

A 6.5-06 would be a nice cartridge. You are the one who has to be satisfied. If you would prefer a 6.5-06, build one.

My only issue with Ai is u have to fire form i believe. I dont know how to do that. I would go with wich ever one is easier to form. This will be my first only reload cartridge. So if the 280ai-6.5 is easier thats what i will go with. Were can i learn how to form this cartridge.

Another 6.5 option for you is the 6.5-284. Quality brass is readily available. Easy to load. You can expect 2950-3050 with 140VLD's and benchrest grade accuracy. It will fit and feed through a standard 30-06 long action.

The reamer and dies won't be as available but once you have them, sizing a 280 AI case to a 6.5 mm would be easier than sizing a 30-06 case to a 6.5 mm.

If you have an issue with an AI, it will be feeding from the magazine. A good Gunsmith should be able to keep that from being an issue.

A 6.5-06 would be a nice cartridge. You are the one who has to be satisfied. If you would prefer a 6.5-06, build one.
For the 6.5/06, neck down using .270 Win. brass. One pass with lots of lub. And, Winchester brand .270 brass is available. Use new brass. Be sure to check neck diameter of your rounds (bullet seated) so as to be sure they'll fit the chamber neck and have .003" clearance. Check case length, too. Max case length is the same as the parent case, 2.494". Necking up from .25-06 will give you thin case neck walls. Mic the neck section of your reamer/cast the finished chamber for size. Experiment with a few cases of each, surely you can come up with a couple pieces of this and a few of that. Most consider the 6.5x.284 and the 6.5/06 to be ballistic twins. The /06 will feed without alterations, the .284 may or may not. IMO, about all Rem. 700s can have their feed cycle improved upon to be 'slick', regardless of caliber.

Last edited:
If the 6.5x284 fits in a standard la than thats what im doing. I would rather just buy cases then resize.

Another 6.5 option for you is the 6.5-284. Quality brass is readily available. Easy to load. You can expect 2950-3050 with 140VLD's and benchrest grade accuracy. It will fit and feed through a standard 30-06 long action.

Greyfox, I see a lot of info on this Forum about the 6.5-284. When I looked at reloading dies and brass, I see that there is a 6.5-284 Winchester, and 6.5-284 Norma. Are they similar (ballistically), or is one preferred over the other for the long range shooting ??
Which one are you suggesting here in your reply??

The cartridge is officially designated the 6.5x284 Norma. Using the name 6.5x284 Winchester is throwback to it's wildcat period because it was developed by necking down the 284 Winchester.

you could go with the 6.5-284. its a little slower than the 06 but you can buy brass and loaded ammo (I think) and your long action will allow you to load the hotter.

you can go with the 6.5-06 (I have a 6.5-06AI that I love) you have to run 30-06 brass through a 270 die and then the 6.5-06 die. its an extra step and less powder efficient.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.