6.5 caliber cartridge suggestion for new build

CHARLIEDUECE65

I have a Remington 700 long action. The barrel is a Krieger 6.5 cal. #4 contour. This rifle build will be for hunting deer mainly. Im looking for ideas for chambering this rifle. I looking for moderate recoil, good barrel life, and something that can shoot the 140 Amax. I was thinking about something possibly based off the 308 winchester case and Improving it Ackley wise. Ive read the 6.5x284 is such a barrel burner, but I like the shorter fat casing. Any ideas including wildcats and reasoning would be great, Thanks. gun)

6.5x55 AI

Reasons:

Very reasonably priced quality brass
Lots of powders to propel your bullet of choice
Minimal recoil

I have a Remington 700 long action. The barrel is a Krieger 6.5 cal. #4 contour. This rifle build will be for hunting deer mainly. Im looking for ideas for chambering this rifle. I looking for moderate recoil, good barrel life, and something that can shoot the 140 Amax. I was thinking about something possibly based off the 308 winchester case and Improving it Ackley wise. Ive read the 6.5x284 is such a barrel burner, but I like the shorter fat casing. Any ideas including wildcats and reasoning would be great, Thanks. gun)

It sounds like you are talking about a 260 Rem AI.

If you have the reamer made so the neck to shoulder junction is the same length as the
260 you can use 260 ammo to hunt with and fire form at the same time. and you will be
surprised at the accuracy of the 260 fire form loads.

J E CUSTOM

Rem .260/.260AI if you want to shoot factory ammo.
If you want to roll your own from the start, bump the case size up a little.
The 6.5x57AI makes a great deer round with a more than the .260Rem, and a little closer to the x284 case, performance wise.
The case offers more neck length for the long 6.5 bullets, and you can get them out a ways and still have room in the mag.
Cases can be formed easily from the .257Roberts, 6mmRem, 7mm Mauser cases.

Good luck with your pick.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about all the chamberings mentioned. I am going to make this a switch barrel rifle also. The other barrel is a #5 krieger 6mm 8 twist and I am chambering that in 6mmAI. So I'm kinda leaning towards the 6.5/06AI right now possibly the 6.5x57AI. Thanks again. :)

i built a 6.5-280ack last summer. love it. had dave kiff at ptg make the reamer and heapspace guages. i went w the 280ack as the parent instead of the '06 for a cpl reasons. if i have to order/rent a reamer anyway, why not go w/ the highest case capacity that i can mixed w/ the ease of just using a redding bushing die to bump the neck of noslers 280ack brass down. its pushing 264wm velocities but im on my 7th reload of these cases and no primer pocket loosening...and as a deer rifle, why worry bout burning out the throat? 1500 or more rounds is a lot of hunting...oh, i ordered the reamer so its throated for bergers 140 vld. i used a sako l61r action so i can seat the bullets waaay out. farther than poss w/ a 700. but the amax is a bit shorter but still w a high b.c.
my 2 cents

with a long action and a 26 inch barrel you will never be sorry for building a
6.5 Remington mag. this is one little caliber that will totally fool you it is as good as the 264 mag and will beat it with some bullet weights. And it will beat both the 6.5x284 the 260 the 6.5-06 and the 6.5wsm too hands down.
I have both the 6.5 mag and the 264 love them both.
but do use 26 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Hi,i would stay with your original thought and chamber for the 6.5-284,you can use lapua brass right out of the box and it is a proven cartridge, all the other calibers mentioned are great but are improved to be at the same or slightly better level of performance as the 6.5-284 so i don't think barrel life will be any better with a 6.5x55AI or 6.5-06AI,i am having a 6.5-284 built for LR deer hunting right now.Performance comes at a cost with smaller calibers,unfortunately it's barrel wear.Good luck with your build.

although I think the 6.5wsm would be cool I have to agree. It is hard to improve a reliable accurate caliber like the 6.5x284. The good lapua brass and great accuracy and ballistics make it a hard round to beat. expecially if you put it in a long action then you can seat your bullet way out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.