6.5 Caliber 140 gr. too lite for Elk ?

A

Although I lean towards being in your court (I'd rather archery hunt), this is "Long Range Hunting", probably not the best place to take that kind of stance. Let's stick together as hunters and just be happy that it all worked out for them.

I have to assume that someone that can execute a shot at that distance on such a hearty animal has likely spent as much time honing his shooting abilities as I have my woodcraft/stalking skills.
That is why I do not attack those that push the range/ cartridge limits.
Like I have said it is a personal choice.
As a Gunsmith and dealer the number of folks wanting a cartridge to shoot big game at long range (600+ yards) has declined sharply in the last few years in my region.
Now people are leaning towards standard cartridges and shooting shorter ranges.

That is why I do not attack those that push the range/ cartridge limits.
Like I have said it is a personal choice.
As a Gunsmith and dealer the number of folks wanting a cartridge to shoot big game at long range (600+ yards) has declined sharply in the last few years in my region.
Now people are leaning towards standard cartridges and shooting shorter ranges.

That's an interesting observation. I've seen just the opposite here in the northwest. Where are you located, Sir ?

Long rang hunting is different in certain areas. I know here in Texas it's overwhelming. I shoot at a place called TacPro in Mingus Tx. Man I have never met so many snipers in one place. LoL!!! I was shooting at 500 yards the other day and this sniper started educating me about how I had to calculate for Coriolis. At 500 yards I asked? LoL!!! Sorry I could not help my self.

BEB65048-FDE4-40E8-B36A-5DBFBCC6E1D3.jpeg
32204CBD-9B5C-487E-9D98-5B9E1B8AB965.jpeg

When theyreintroduced ELK into Ky thay must be concrete so they don't have to redo it as often.:rolleyes:

The top target was from my 260 Rem shooting 140 grain hand-loads. I did not know how fast they were goin at this stage it was only a educated guess. I have a 27" barrel and not a 24" like the reloading book says. Plus my coal is at 2.820 and not 2.800. Then I have more powder than what the book says also. That is a 1" target. Now LoL!! ( The bottom target )The sniper that was educating me was shooting at a 4" target with some 300 Norma mag he had custom built he said cost him like $30K says he shoots 5 gallon water jugs at a mile all the time. ( so he knows his stuff ) . LoL. He said he would help me shoot, and started talking about Coriolis, barrel twist rate. I was nice I promise. LoL I just told him I did not know you had to calculate for those thangs at 500 yards. Thanks for sharing. When we went down to the target and looked at what we both did, well he left the rifle range. My girlfriend asked me what I did? I said my homework. You can claim to be whatever you want but don't you ever claim to be a sniper in front of me. I have lost brothers and sisters both protecting this grate Nation. There were times I have had to use my skills and glad I had them. But it was not easy. What I'm saying//asking is watch what you say, specially at the gun range You can offend my brothers and sisters deeply.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.