6.5 bullet suggestion

so I'm going to reload some range/practice ammo for my daughters 6.5cm rifle

I'm looking for an "easy to find accuracy" bullet for practice at the range on paper and for steel

what bullet has given you good accuracy and was easy/quick to find the load for? the more time we can spend practicing at the range the better so I hope to not have to spend lots of time finding an accurate load.

I know each rifle is different but usually there seems to be a pattern with these things

I would prefer a "less expensive" bullet as these will be for practice for her and we don't need "premium" at this time-- a "dual purpose" target/hunting bullet would be nice but not necessary as I will most likely load up some HH bullets for her hunting loads

as far as powder, I have RL16 and varget, but I know H4350 is very popular too and available at my LGS

what have been your "easy to load" bullets for this cartridge?
I would use the powder I don't use for hunting or quality purposes, use what you have in the back of shelves, 120 ballistic tips by nosler are cheap and easy to tune, use any low b/c bullet for playing. Save all quality bullets which are to you for for your serious shooting purposes. My thought anyways that's what I did with my kiddos.

I shoot 123 ELDM for practice in my son's rifle and 124 hammer hunters to hunt with. I can't spend $100 per box for practice, but the hammers sure do put the smack down on the hogs we've shot with them.

We're taking it to Africa in 2 weeks, so I will have performance on game other than hogs very soon. I think we've got 10 animals on the menu for this trip, most will be shot with the creedmoor and 124 hh's

I'm looking for an "easy to find accuracy" bullet for practice at the range on paper and for steel

what bullet has given you good accuracy and was easy/quick to find the load for? the more time we can spend practicing at the range the better so I hope to not have to spend lots of time finding an accurate load.

I know each rifle is different but usually there seems to be a pattern with these things

I would prefer a "less expensive" bullet as these will be for practice for her and we don't need "premium" at this time-- a "dual purpose" target/hunting bullet would be nice but not necessary as I will most likely load up some HH bullets for her hunting loads

as far as powder, I have RL16 and varget, but I know H4350 is very popular too and available at my LGS

I am using the 6.5mm Horandy ELD Match 140 gr. bullet ,with Starline Brass, Winchester WLP Primers, and 42.2 grains of RL-16 powder. My COAL is set at.010 off my lands ( varies for each and every rifle ) (MV 2730 FPS) With this formula I am shooting sub 1/2 " groups at 200YDS. My rifle is a Savage model 10SRT heavy fluted barrel @ 22" + MTD Lil Bastard tunable muzzle break bored for the 6.5 Creedmoor round. Try this combination for starts. I also have had good luck with the Horandy 129 gr. SST bullet using IMR 4350 42.5.grs, same brass and primers ,but .020" off the Lands. (MV 2775 FPS)
IMHO I would consider this as a great hunting combo.

...so I'm going to reload some range/practice ammo for my daughters 6.5cm rifle

Since this is range/practice ammo and especially for the daughter this is what you're looking for. 95 gr. Hornady V-MAX (#22601) or 107 gr. Sierra BTHP(#1715). Both work well with Varget and are cheaper than most. I have found these are superb performers on small critters and steel. Best of all your daughter can focus on fundamentals with very little recoil. I've have great luck with both out of a couple of rifles using Lyman load data.

My loads:
  • Hornady 95 gr. V-MAX with 40.8 grains Varget @ 2.710" OAL.
  • Sierra 107 gr. Jacketed HPBT with 39.5 grains Varget @ 2.780"

Last edited:
I wish you and your Son a safe & productive hunt!
Also, I look forward to your report.
Another guy over on the fire has the same idea and has been successful, he uses the 123 ELDM for all range work & hunts with the 120TTSX, he says that the clicks are the same until about 600 yds & doesn't shoot game over that yardage with that round anyway, so all works out.
The Hammer should be even better.

My son used a 123 with a reduced load of 4895. It only clocked about 2750. He shot 2 does with it a few years ago. Great low recoil load. Rifleshooter.com did an article on reduced Creedmoor loads.

Barnes 140 gr match burners or Nosler 140 gr RDF both work well in my Creedmoors and are quite a bit less expensive than the premium bullets and seem to shoot to the same poi

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.