6.5 bullet suggestion

Did a ladder test with the Sierra 140 gr. Gamekings in my 6.5CM, except for two shots, all 18 went into the same hole. A ragged, elongated, 1 inch hole.

In my 6.5x55, using Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips, got around .6 inch with three shot groups.

H4350 in the 6.5CM and the 6.5x55, W760 tended to open up the groups in the Swede.

Well, this is interesting-- I thought I'd see a clear trend but lots of people using lots of different bullets.

Trends I might see developing are the eld's, hpbt, and smk. (Are the hpbt or smk game worthy?)

Dont really see a clear cut bullet weight trend

Usually in 6.5cm i see a trend towards h4350 but sometimes people stick with "tried and true" old powders as they dont want to build a whole new load from scratch. I have heard great things about the temp stability, low es &sd for RL 16-- I'm really tempted to try it out, but I have lots of varget, but h4350 seems to be the "go-to" powder so I'm kinda torn on powder right now

As far as bullets go, I'm probably going to keep the "trends" in mind and go see what my lgs has in stock-- buy a box and try it, if it works then I'll buy in bulk from online to save some $

I'm out of town for the holiday weekend so keep the suggestions comming-- I'll check out my lgs on tuesday to see what they have.

Get the Hornady black...cheap factory ammo and very accurate loads.
Nah, even the black arent as cheap as the s&b 140 fmj ammo-- I printed a 7/8" group with it during break in-- it averages 1- 1.25" but occasionally can get it smaller and it's only $10/box when on sale and only $12/box at my lgs-- I'm a handloader though so once bbl break in was completed I stop using factory ammo and go to handloads. That way I get "premium" ammo for budget ammo prices.

I buy the 130 tipped match Kong's in the 500 round boxes and love them. Shot them in a creed, saum, 6.5 x284 and a Grendel. Easy to find a load in all those.

Most of the Berger 140s should shoot great and are usually readily available. If you try the VLDs they usually shoot the best right in the lands or way off. I always try 10 off and 100 off first. Just shot some groups in a 7 LRM with a 180 VLD Hunter and IMR 8133. The 10 off shot the best. The other advantage to the Berger's is their weights are usually all right on the money bullet to bullet.

I have a 1000 ct box of 123 gr. Scenars that shoot great in everything I throw them through. They might be a bit easier on the shoulder for a young girl than the heavier bullets.

Hornady 143eldx or 147 eldM. If reloading. Not sure if they make factory 147's for the creedmoor but The factory 143 eldx shoots AWESOME out of my sons custom 6.5 Creedmoor. And I do mean AWESOME if I forgot to say that. Lol. Can't even tell there is more than one hole in a group at 100 yards. I know that's not far but that's what we did. But then again, John Beanland builds one h$&l of a gun! I'm sure they would work great for you. And they are cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts