6.5 bullet for Prong Horn

Antelope are easy to kill. That said, I use a 7mm WSM 168 VLD for everything. I've shot javelina, deer, aoudad, elk, and ibex. You don't have to work up a separate load for each animal, I guess we just do it for fun.

140 Grain Berger Elite Hunters. Shoot Fantastic and hit like lightening.

I will agree with most posts that Antelope are not that hard to kill so any bullet out of a 6.5 should be sufficient. I have killed more Antelope with a 22-250 shooting 50 grain Speer Game King bullets than anything else.

Here is a Berger 135 Classic hunter at 300 yards. This is the exit. Right behind the shoulder on the passenger side and slight quarter shot. As you can see the exit really took out the far side shoulder. I have harvested three antelope with the 135gr classic hunter. I also have Accubond and hammer hunters worked up and I think I will try them next year. One Antelope was harvested at 550 yards with a complete pass through.

20190926_090833.jpg

Last couple of years i have used 143 ELDX's out of a Creed and a 6.5-300Wby. Instant death in all cases.

My self or my friends/family took some 17 or 18 critters with the 156 this year out of a .260 AI @2940 and a .264 wm @ 3070, 2 elk (845, 865) I think 5 deer and a mess of pronghorn, most were on video. The 156 worked fantastic, very similar to what I saw with the 140 VLD, just more of it. Shots ranged from 200 yards out to 940. That is what I would go with. Not because you need the extra energy or anything for goats, but it will be a little better in the wind when shots can stretch out like they sometimes do with pronghorn. You have the horsepower, might as well use it. If your over 3000 ft elevation or so, an 8 twist will work fine too.

The Berger 140 HVLD's at 3000FPS have proven to be quite effective for me on antelope out to 1000+ yards. I haven't shot any game with the 156 EOL but palm to give them a try next next season. Reports have been quite positive

Here is just a few of the animals taken this year with my rifle (.260 AI) and then my dad with his deer taken with his .264 wm @ 840, all with the 156. Fantastic performance.View attachment 172222View attachment 172223View attachment 172225View attachment 172228View attachment 172229View attachment 172230View attachment 172231View attachment 172232View attachment 172233View attachment 172234

Awesome work and man that is some beautiful Mule Deer country.. I am jealous

I have the 156's running 2950 out of my 6.6X285 at sub 1/2 moa, if they are anything like the 140's, should be **** good on goats and deer.

Hey cody are you opening the tips on the 156's?
Yup. I HBN coat them, so it is especially necessary after tumbling. I have wire drill bits that I chuck in my drill, set to the depth of the hollow points, and drill them out after I load them as a final step. The entire cartridge is easier to hold on to than just the bullet

Yup. I HBN coat them, so it is especially necessary after tumbling. I have wire drill bits that I chuck in my drill, set to the depth of the hollow points, and drill them out after I load them as a final step. The entire cartridge is easier to hold on to than just the bullet
What size of bit?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts