6.5 build for 140 Bergers at 2900-3000?

Sound like the short action you want to build is going to be a single shot.
if it is going to be magazine fed look at the 6.5x47, or just do something a little crazy like a 6.5x 250 savage improved 40*, ( 6xc necked up), you do something like this and you will never get bored.
I have a list of 6.5's. couple of 6.5x55's, 264win mag, .260AAR (6.5x57 40* imp)
6.5wssm, and a creedmoor.
When I start playing with the creedmoor, I'll be willing to bet they'll not load in the magazine.
When people ask for my opinion on a build, the first thing I tell them is to pick the bullet the want to shoot, then pick the cartridge.

6.5x284 will do this all day. I am shooting just over with one and just under in another. you have a bunch of options on this it will definitely just come down to do you want to push something hard or down load something else or run a couple where they should be. i will be building a 260AI next, but that will be closer to 2900 than 3000. 6.5-06 will get you there improved or not.
A

Of those I would take PRC. WSM is a "barrel burner" compared to the others, and PRC will comfortable run those speeds with a case design that theoretically feeds a little easier than the saum.

It was made for pretty much exactly what you're wanting. 140 @ 2950-3000. You don't have to ring it out to get there, it will do it with factory offerings. (Granted you need to go to copper creek for the 140 Berger). Further it's easy to get it there with reloads and you don't have to find reloder 26 to do it, you can do it with MRP, 4831sc, 25, H1000 etc
To me it's a tossup between the .260 and 6.5 PRC. The .260 runs a bit slower but I have been incredibly impressed with both of mine over the last five years with numerous kills on really big hogs from 350-650lbs. Using conventional bullets I've had a few require a follow up but with the Peregrines every one has been a one shot kill that drops them dead within three body lengths even when I miss the spine.

My 6.5 LRM will run the same bullets four hundred fps faster without pressure signs and is absolutely devastating on big hogs with zero needing follow ups. It still doesn't make sense to me but when it comes to shock it seems to be even more effective than the .375 Ruger.

The 6.5 PRC will have performance between the two as it's specifically designed to run the 140 class bullets right at or just below 300fps.

The other option I certainly would not dismiss is the good old .264wm which due to the improvements in bullets, metals used in barrels, and modern slower powders is more effective today than it ever has been.

Im building new rifle and wanting to shoot 6.5 140 VLDs just under 3000fps. My question is, what will give me the most barrel life at 2900 to just under 3k. I have been looking into the SAUM, WSM, PRC. I am sure there are others out there, I am wanting to stay with a short action. I an no expert but I think the answer has to do with pressure differences.
I like the 6.5 PRC they're building good factory ammo for it brass is really available for it you do not have to fire form however you cartridge works good in medium actions.The short action Remington you can put the Pacific tool & gauge bottom metal extended version and it works fin. Good luck with you build

The 6.5 PRC will have performance between the two as it's specifically designed to run the 140 class bullets right at or just below 300fps.

Exactly, nothing wrong with any of the options, but the 3000 with a 140 is exactly what PRC was made to do and it does it. No fire-forming, no ringing it out and hoping you can find a load with the perfect powder. 140 grain at 2950-3k straight out of the box or with any powder on the published load data, even if your accuracy node isn't full tilt to the wall.

Captureprc.JPG

Short Action issue...I Hope that he looks at Various action makers as some are more mid length....as I am learning....whole new can of worms.

Exactly, nothing wrong with any of the options, but the 3000 with a 140 is exactly what PRC was made to do and it does it. No fire-forming, no ringing it out and hoping you can find a load with the perfect powder. 140 grain at 2950-3k straight out of the box or with any powder on the published load data, even if your accuracy node isn't full tilt to the wall.

View attachment 120164
This is probably the best post on thread. Simple,accurate and on point. I'm not giving up my 6.5saums though :D

Short Action issue...I Hope that he looks at Various action makers as some are more mid length....as I am learning....whole new can of worms.

This is more of a bottom metal thing than an action thing. You don't need a mid length action, a wyatts internal box or an accurate mag if you want dbm will work fine w/ a 700. On a savage, model 70, tikka you don't even need that. If you have a tikka you can throw 6.5-284 in as a twin depending on your bolt face.

Build starting with lonepeak razor action, #5 Brux 24 inch, Mcmillan game scout. I guess I should have asked in original post more about what causes barrel wear, other than the obvious like getting hot, long strings of fire. I have heard case design and the flow of powder brass ect. Has an effect as well as pressure. Ive read the sharper the shoulder, longer necks helps keep the powder burn inside the case and out of the barrel. This may all be theory, i dont know. The sst, and saum are what im leaning towards at this point.

Is there a way to figure out what pressure say a prc 3k w/140vld is, and compare that pressure to others with same speed and bullet.

This is more of a bottom metal thing than an action thing. You don't need a mid length action, a wyatts internal box or an accurate mag if you want dbm will work fine w/ a 700. On a savage, model 70, tikka you don't even need that. If you have a tikka you can throw 6.5-284 in as a twin depending on your bolt face.
What bottom metal will get you over 3.00 in a Rem 700 SA if you need to get to 3.05

What length is the O.A.L in the
6.5 prc with the 140-147 hornadys seated out to the neck shoulder junction? My guess with the .188 prc reamer with the 140-147 seated at the neck shoulder is gonna be over 3.00 personally I want adjustability in my rifles and not have mag box hinder were I have to seat the bullets but rather were they shoot the best wether it's close to the lands or jump. There was a poster on this forum that was describing this situation were seated close to the lands it shot good but when he seated deeper to fit mag box it wouldn't shoot as good.
My 6.5x300wsm o.a.l is 3.08+

Great advise L. Sherm!

Also, consider where the OAL will be for needed adjustments related to the distance from the lands 700 rounds from new. Most only consider what is going on in the first 100 rounds of the barrel's life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.