6.5 Berger 144 & 153.5 Hybrids

Ive had no significant change in b c by opening the tips either. On most bullets, you aren't changing the cross section diameter and resistance on the hollow point is no different than on the copper that was there.

So lance is saying 1200 yards to kill with 1000 ft pounds. Yet people get bent all out of shape when I say my creed is good for 880. A 6.5 is a 6.5 no matter what cartridge it's comes from. I get 2975 with 147 eldms. I have a 6.5 Saum doing 3150 with the Eldm. So I guess my Saum is good for over 1200 but my lowly creed is only good to 350.
Right.
Shep

I'm shooting the 144 Hyb out of my 6.5 PRC. Some guy named Lance Kenyon worked up a load for me. 😉. I shot 2 PA whitetails last year and both dropped on the spot. The buck was trotting towards me. Went in behind the right shoulder and out the left hindquarter. The doe was broadside about 60 yards and shot her in the chest. I attached a picture of the massive damage on the exit side. I will be using them again this season.
07379ADA-147A-4A5F-A578-024C78525ED0.jpeg

I use 153.5 Bergers in my 20"6.5x284 at 2830fps. Only shot one red deer so far.
200m shot high in the shoulder and it didn't take a step.
I'm very impressed so far but now I need to shoot some more animals to get a better sample size to really be conclusive on performance.

I use 153.5 Bergers in my 20"6.5x284 at 2830fps. Only shot one red deer so far.
200m shot high in the shoulder and it didn't take a step.
I'm very impressed so far but now I need to shoot some more animals to get a better sample size to really be conclusive on performance.
Good info and performance from such a short tube. Thanks

I'm shooting the 144 Hyb out of my 6.5 PRC. Some guy named Lance Kenyon worked up a load for me. 😉. I shot 2 PA whitetails last year and both dropped on the spot. The buck was trotting towards me. Went in behind the right shoulder and out the left hindquarter. The doe was broadside about 60 yards and shot her in the chest. I attached a picture of the massive damage on the exit side. I will be using them again this season.View attachment 281438
While that damaged is impressive, I don't want that much blood shock in the meat.

So lance is saying 1200 yards to kill with 1000 ft pounds. Yet people get bent all out of shape when I say my creed is good for 880. A 6.5 is a 6.5 no matter what cartridge it's comes from. I get 2975 with 147 eldms. I have a 6.5 Saum doing 3150 with the Eldm. So I guess my Saum is good for over 1200 but my lowly creed is only good to 350.
Right.
Shep
You get 2975 from a 6.5CM w. 147s? Holy crap. Yeah, that should be an 880 yard round. My criteria is 1800fps or 1000ft/lbs, whichever comes first for deer.

Most 24 inch barrel 6.5 creeds I build shoot 140 class bullets to 3000 FPS with RL26. 48 grains and a mag primer is right in the ball park. The 147s shoot and kill unbelievable and are not expensive. I shoot them for 1000 yard matches and bulk buy the 2000 pack. My best match target was 3.9 inches for 10 shots. My match load doesn't use RL26 and only goes 2850. I tried to get the RL26 to be competitive but I had to hard a time staying on top of the tune. H extreme powders are much easier to stay in tune with. Plus I use the same powder in my 300wsm heavy gun. To get 3000 from the creed you need hornady brass and large rifle mag primers. I shoot lapua with small primers and can only get mine to 2975. To be perfectly honest I don't hunt with my creeds. I have a Saum that takes care of that. I've been very impressed with the 147s on deer. My bucks weight around 175 here and I have not shot anything bigger than that. Two of my customer's shot big mule deer at over 400 yards with their creeds and 147s and they both dropped where they stood. My buck this yr was shot at just over 100 yards and it was chasing a doe and I made a poor shot on him. Hit him in the last rib and he went 75 yards. I blame the result on myself. But it still got it done. I still personally think my 257 bees drop deer better than anything I have seen. But the 6.5s beat it bad at long range. I do want to try the new Berger's in my match gun. It will have to wait till next yr.
Shep