6.5 Battle for Yote gun...

redhaven85

I have a 6.5 CM already that get used for deer. I was considering a Grendel for coyotes, but could just use the CM and work up some loads. Any thoughts?

Hornady has some loaded 95 grain V-MAX for the 6.5 Creemoor, running 3300 fps muzzle velocity in their varmint express line if you would like to try them on coyotes to see what you think of the 6.5's performance.

As far as caliber coyotes are not very hard to kill something smaller tickled my fancy,based on the Grendel case I'm shooting a six arc in a converted A.R. 15 so I have multiple follow up shots running an 18 inch barrel suppressed.

As far as calibers go, the only benefit to 6.5 Grendel is for the ability to use the 6.5 diameter bullet in a standard AR platform, but you won't use the same bullet weight anyway.

I would just use the creedmoor.

As far as caliber coyotes are not very hard to kill something smaller tickled my fancy,based on the Grendel case I'm shooting a six arc in a converted A.R. 15 so I have multiple follow up shots running an 18 inch barrel suppressed.
I guess I should also say I'd have my AR15 with me for close in shots. Right now I use either 53 gr VMAX or 55 gr BT's in it. The 260 AI would be for the long shots.

The 6.5 CM fits an AR 10 platform (308) well not so with the AR15 platform. The longer 140 grain bullets may not feed reliably from it but the 120 grain bullets do. I tend to like shot placement being such that I don't like it when I need more than one shot yes it does happen at times, but it really bothers me when I don't make a clean kill with one shot. A well-built rife and good loads are my friends for that reason I have killed a lot of coyotes with from 22 long rifle caliber to 30 caliber in rifles and from 22 long rifle to 40 S&W in pistols, it's always a matter of personal choice as to what each of us use and preferer for the job at hand as well as our abilities.

I guess I should also say I'd have my AR15 with me for close in shots. Right now I use either 53 gr VMAX or 55 gr BT's in it. The 260 AI would be for the long shots.
I regularly shoot in my backyard to 400 yards with a 6 arc It's very accurate even with an 18 inch barrel.