6.5 ackley Wildcat

Of The calibers suggested, which would be better for high volume varmint shooting?

~WS

If you want to use a 6.5 for high volume varmint shooting, you would be best served to back way off on case capacity to the 6.5x47, .260. 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.5x55 to get longer barrel life.

Of these, the only one I own and have shot is the 6.5x55, but I have not used it for high volume shooting. I like it better than the 6.5-284 NORMA, which I also have. For an everyday cartridge, I think there is a lot to be said for the 6.5x55/.260/Creedmoor/6.5x47 class of cartridges.

If more performance is desired, my preference is to skip the 6.5-284 and proceed directly to cartridges in the .264 Win Mag class. Some folks will claim that the 6.5-284 is in that class. My experience with my rifles says they are all wet. If you step up from the 6.5x55, you have to be prepared to pay a significant price in barrel life. It costs more to go fast. That's just the way it is.

Of The calibers suggested, which would be better for high volume varmint shooting?

~WS

I don't do any high-volume varmint hunting. I do occasionally go coyote hunting. When I do, I take my .257 Wby Mag, but rarely get more than 1 shot a night.

However, if I had to guess, I'd say 6.5-47 or 6.5x55 would be ok for that type hunting. It shouldn't be too hard on the barrel, as long as you let it cool down for a minute or two between shots.

Bench mentioned it, but the 6.5 Creedmore completely skipped my mind. Awesome round, and you can use Lapua .308 Win brass for it. Just FL size them in your Creedmore die.

With a 1/7 twist barrel. You could shoot really long bullets like the CEB,s and be well stabilized way out with the moderate velocity rounds like the Creed . 260 . 6.5×55 . 6.5×47. And they are easy shooting . Don't burn much powder and are reported to be easy on barrels.

I've got a Creedmoor and really like it.

With a standard action, standard bolt face your in business. Except the 55 .

The 260 Rem (or the 6.5x47) would be good choices for high volume shooting. The bullets you shoot through them are typically stabilized in an 8 twist. You will loose a little performance from them. How much is hard to say. I would consider selling the 7 twist and getting an 8 twist.

The 260 Rem (or the 6.5x47) would be good choices for high volume shooting. The bullets you shoot through them are typically stabilized in an 8 twist. You will loose a little performance from them. How much is hard to say. I would consider selling the 7 twist and getting an 8 twist.
How would you lose performance particularly if shooting 140gr VLD's?

The general rule I've always been taught is that you can spin them to slow but you can't spin them to fast to stabilize.

If I plan on handloading heavier 142gr bullets will the 7" trust still over stabilize?

~WS
I don't believe there's such a thing as an "over stabilized bullet".

The 7 twist is more than you need, but I don't understand how it can be a detriment other than possibly increased spin drift at long range.

There might be an increase in the pressure gradient due to the increased resistance but that is easily solvable when you work up your loads.

The 2 biggest factors in bullet stabilization is the bullet's length and weight. The Bergers in weights of 130-140 require an 8 twist. Matrix makes a 160 that stabilizes in an 8 twist. Cutting Edge makes a 140 that requires a 7 at lower elevations but will stabilize in an 8 at higher elevations. The CE bullet is a good candidate for your barrel but not one I would pick for prairie dog shooting at over a buck per pop.

You would have to get a long and heavy lead core bullet that in the 160 class or heavier to take advantage of the 7 twist. The 140's are already going to be a little on the slow side out of a 260 Rem.

As far as "over stability" goes. It all depends on your application. Competition shooters pick the slowest possible twist for the bullets they use. One issue with highly stabilized bullets is they don't "nose over" as they past their peak trajectory which can lead to slightly degraded accuracy and possible terminal performance issues. The other thing about tighter twists is you will loose a little muzzle velocity. Not sure how much.

You can use the 7 twist, it just wouldn't be optimum and if you're going to put good money for a good build, it might be worth considering changing barrels.

How long is the barrel?

I will be starting load development at the end of the month on what we are calling a 6.5 ultra cat. The reamer is based on the 300 rum with a 40 deg shoulder. GS Custom made a 128g HV for us to shoot out of this chambering. 7 twist is what we are running on 30" length. These bullets are going to have a bc around .640. Running them near 4000 fps will make this chambering a legitimate long range contender.

If were not for the GS bullets we would not have done this because of the barrel life and slow powder issues. As well as the problem of conventional bullets not being able to stand the launch.

We may take one of these barrels and run as many as we can to test barrel life. GS is willing to give us the bullets if we document the shot numbers. I am not sure if we want to donate the time and other recourses needed to do that. We will decide later.

Needless to say, I am very excited about this. It has been a long time waiting. I was not going to say anything until we were able to shoot it but this thread seemed like a good time to say something. When we start shooting I will give reports as to how it goes.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Long time no see. What powder were you planning on using in that 6.5 RUM? That sounds a little bigger than Kirby's 6.5 AM. How long is the 128 bullet? I'm going to try out the 308 177's in my new RUM along with some CEB and 230 Hybrids. If they don't work out I'll have about 150 for sale if you're interested.

The bullet is 1.565". Powder is going to be a bunch of trial and error. I have high hopes for Superformance. It may be too fast... we will see. I am very anxious to get going. I have a 1000 hv 177's. So hopefully they do well for you and I will sell you a few hundred.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts