6.5 95 V Max?

Browninglover1

I have searched the forums for hours and haven't been able to find too much information on the 6.5 mm 95 grain V Max.

Has anyone used this bullets on coyotes? I would imagine it would be tough on fur but maybe I'm wrong. I'm interested in the bullet for coyotes out to around 600 yards.

I'd also love to hear of any experiences with this bullet on rock chucks, prairie dogs, etc.

For what it's worth I'm shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor and think it would be a fun easy to shoot bullet.

Hey Jason,
It's about time you showed up here again. I have never owned a 6.5, but I always thought the 95 V-Max would kill the hell out of coyotes. You are probably right about not saving fur with that bullet. Most of the rifles I have shot the V-Max out of really liked them. They turn P-Dogs into ketchup as Soup and I have seen in Colorado. Well, not when he is just shooting their legs off. You need a good solid hit for the ketchup thing! Just kidding, Soup is an excellent shot. We went to the range yesterday. I only had one gun to try. My boss has a Winchester 7mm that is a real ***. I shot a few of Soup's gun and got really good groups. He has a nice arsenal.
You really need to come up to Idaho and help us waste gas in the hot pursuit of anything with fur. And I do mean ANYTHING!
Kirk

I tried the 95 gr Vmax out of my 6.5 Grendel AR but I couldn't get it to shoot very well. I wouldn't think that it would be very pelt friendly but down in New Mexico there is no bounty or reason to sell the pelts. I use the 100 gr and 120 gr Nosler ballistic tips with great success (both 1/2 MOA). They are for sure not pelt friendly but no matter where you hit them, it puts them down!

I tried the 95 gr Vmax out of my 6.5 Grendel AR but I couldn't get it to shoot very well. I wouldn't think that it would be very pelt friendly but down in New Mexico there is no bounty or reason to sell the pelts. I use the 100 gr and 120 gr Nosler ballistic tips with great success (both 1/2 MOA). They are for sure not pelt friendly but no matter where you hit them, it puts them down!

I've wondered if they don't shoot well and that's why I haven't really heard of anyone using them. I'm going to load up some 140 A Max's but I'd love to try some of the little ones for a fun varmint round.

Hey Justin,
Try one of the lighter Sierra MK's. I killed a ton of coyotes with 100 MK out of a 25-06Imp. and it was fur friendly. Just waiting for good weather to go chrono some 115 MK's out of my 270.
Well, gotta run. Soup is picking me up in 45 minutes. We are going calling this morning.
Kirk

Just finished load developement with the 95 v max out of my 6.5 x 47 lapua pistol. 38.8 gr. "I think" of varget and vel. around 2700 out of a 16 barrel that has a brake on it. It shoots 1/2 moa out of the MOA maximum, no shots yet on yotes, did kill a small wt buck useing 120 sierras. Good bullet performance there. Can't wait to turn it loose on woodchucks this summer.

I have a Savage Model 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and using Varget and loading it to 3275 fps with a COL of 2.710" it shoots about 3/4" at 100 yards. bullet is like a grenade when it hits. Sometimes you will get no exit but that is more of a rarity. I have some pics, but they are a little gruesome for posting on a forum so if you would like to see them just PM me and I can send them to you.

Hey Justin,
Try one of the lighter Sierra MK's. I killed a ton of coyotes with 100 MK out of a 25-06Imp. and it was fur friendly. Just waiting for good weather to go chrono some 115 MK's out of my 270.
Well, gotta run. Soup is picking me up in 45 minutes. We are going calling this morning.
Kirk

Cat; that's good to know. I'm toying with getting a 25/06 . One cart that is interesting that I've never had. It works good on caribou and great on wolf but I always thot it would rip a coyote bad. . How big would that bullet make the exit? ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.