6.5/300wsm

G

does anyone have any load data on this cartridge. better yet does anyone have a definite opinion of it? it seems to be the best of the short actions which I like to shoot.

I am pretty sure that on the GoGoVarmintGo board one of the advertisers, Richards Custom Rifles built a very early one in that. Do not have his no but it is on that board.

I'm not sure if Winchester is making a 264W_SS_M but that'd be pretty nice. I'd say the case being larger, anything on the high end of the 6.5-284 would be a place to start.

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

My dad just got his barrel in for his yesterday and is waiting on the reamer still. He loaded up some 140 SMK's using 270 WSM load data and to throat it for. He has my Nosler #5 manual still, but I can get the load and OAL he used for you to compare if you like. He's using a 700 LA and has them seated out pretty far so you'd want to consider that part with his load choice too.

Thanks Brent, would appreciate any help on this. I am not a beginning shooter, but I am definitely new when it comes to wildcat loads. These are the recommendations I have had so far. Now I see someone with a 6.5/416
6.5/308 Being unable to find any ballistics
6.5/284 on these I really do not know which
6.5/06 to go. I am looking for a rifle I can
6.5/270 hunt with and shoot targets at proba
6.5/300 bly at 500 yards.max.

6.5/416
far overbore , impressive look but very inefficient cartridge same as 6.5/378
6.5/308 Being unable to find any ballistics
6.5/08 is same as 260 Rem
6.5/284 on these I really do not know which
6.5/284 have powder capacity of the 6.5/06
balistic is close .
6.5/06 to go. I am looking for a rifle I can
6.5/270 hunt with and shoot targets at proba
6.5/270 is a 6.5/06 with just longer neck .
6.5/300 bly at 500 yards.max.
6.5/300 wea is a very good max capacity cartridge
you get 264 Win too , no big forming , dies available , very good balistic with 140 gr ..........
a 6.5/280 Rem is good to as the 264 Williams

good shooting

DAN TEC

Moly coated 139 Lapua touching lands, 65.5 gr. H1000, Fed 210 M. Velocity is 3150 with no pressure out of a 30" barrel. Work up to this in your rifle. Retumbo looks to be promising, I can't wait till it warms up.

David,

My dad said he used ...edited... under the 140 SMK. He hasn't fired them yet but they should work fine. He got the load from 140gr 300wsm data.

[ 03-15-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Brent, I would check out that load you listed. Is that much 748 going to be safe? I would think 65 grains of a slow burning powder sounds right. Not trying to be a know-it-all . . . just sounds like a lot of faster burning powder and potentially high pressure.

Troy,

you don't sound like a know it all.
wink.gif
I actually asked him about the same thing too. After looking at some load data on the net, I think it too hot of load myself. Thanks for the heads up.

ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR DATA BEFORE LOADING!

David,

I just finished a 6.5 WSM on the Remington action, with a 27 inch barrel. The case has 79 gr. of water capacity before fire forming. The throat length is .120,and I will be testing Hornady Amax's as soon as I get to the range. The Reamer has a 35 degree shoulder, and slightly less taper then Sammi specs. Data will be coming soon with H 1000 and Retumbo.

I shoot 135 Wildcats Magnum primers and 66 gr retumbo out of a Ruger#1 28"Smith gain twist 7.5 twist very accurate.I have also used IMR 7828ssc.I suggest using load and powder data for 270WSM and starting data for max loads for safety antil you have worked up a load.You will have to outside turn the necks unless the chamber is cut to no turn specs.especially if you are using 300WSM brass instead of 270WSM brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.